Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Terminating Helper - what are the rules?

piper is offline Registered User

Terminating Helper - what are the rules?

I'm terminating my helper who has worked with us for 2 months and want to terminate her immediately. The reason is I have a young baby and I have repeatedly asked her to do certain things and she just does not do it (I can go on with many, many more reasons). I have spoken to her many times and have seen no change. And most important seeing that she does not listen I need to think about my child.

What are the rules? I know I have to pay her 1-month salary. What about the ticket home? Do I purchase the ticket or do I gave her the money and if so how much do I gave her?
    Also, when I notify her - how long do I have to gave her for her to leave our house.

Thanks for your help.

sunrays is offline Registered User
    You can either give her the money for a flight back or give her a ticket. Call an agent to find the cost of a DH flight back. Make sure she signs for everything so you have proof you paid her. You can ask her to leave immediately. There is an excellent hotline number for any other info you need. I'll see if I can find it.

rani is offline Administrator
    You can check the airfares on Cebu Pacific

Cebu Pacific Air - It's time everyone flies

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    I told her in the morning, give her the money, signed ALL documents, let her write the amount and not just sign. I asked her which date she wants to go back home (within 14 days), check cebu pacific website, my husband printed the e-ticket. Let her sign too that she agreed on the issued ticket. You can give $1k but she has to go home so better to issue her a ticket.

You can notify one month before, so you don't need to pay one month salary, but she might do something not good to your child/food/etc. Better give the money.

Let her pack her things and that's it, done in an hour. I also gave a phone number of a dorm for her to have a house to stay in.

I know it sounds unhuman to just terminate her that morning, but we don't have any choice. I did it in the morning so she has the time to look for a dorm. Or call her friends where to stay.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Crystal88, do you still have the telephone number of the dorm you recommended to her? Also, did you pay her for the cost of accommodation at the dorm? I would have thought that if they are live in (so their salary in their contract does not include accommodation) then you would have to give them money for accommodation as well as the month's salary.

Piper/Rani - In terms of cost of air flights you could also call one of the helper travel agents as I know that helpers get subsidised air tickets. When ours flew back for a holiday earlier this year, I had found the cheapest ticket online but she had spoken to a travel agent in Sheung Wan and got one much cheaper still.

I need to terminate my helper too soon. She has been with us less than a year but at CNY she already used her round trip ticket to go home. So now I do not owe her a ticket home, but will the authorities still consider it my responsibility to repatriate her? So will I have to pay her another ticket? Anyone know?

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    I don't think you can use the CNY ticket in lieu of her ticket to return home. Did you have it in writing? If not, is there evidence that you paid for it or made some agreement with her to pay for it in lieu. You may be able to recover the cost of the ticket at CNY and use it to pay for her ticket back.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

piper is offline Registered User
    Liquorice/ Rani - Thanks for the info

crystal88 - do you have that dorm number?

Im planning on doing this saturday or sunday. Question - do I have to change my locks? I have security in the building. Just want to make sure Im not overreacting. I have heard too many stories.

Just to be clear - I can buy the ticket for her - but - she will have to leave within 14 days?

Do I have to notify Immigration?

I should also mention that I have started the process of hiring a Direct Hire, started the process last week.

Thanks again for your help..

rani is offline Administrator
    Yes you do need to inform immigration

GovHK: Online Notification of Premature Termination of Employment Contracts of Foreign Domestic Helpers

I would just give her the cash for the ticket. She can then purchase her ticket when she's ready to leave. She does have 14 days to find a new employer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast