Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Back to work - After 10 weeks

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Back to work - After 10 weeks

Hi mums!

As bubba No. 2 kicks in my belly, I'm only too aware of the horrid reality I'm going to have to face when my maternity leave is up. I have exactly 10 weeks from birth. And although my husband is around during the day to look after her, I can't help feel anticipate that it's going to be a very very bad time for me.

What did you do to prepare for that day if you've had to head back after 10 weeks?
    - Breastfeeding - How to ensure a continued milk supply? Did you use formula and breastfed?
    - Emotional Needs - How did you cope leaving a wee one behind?
    - Home support - Did you make your helper attend special classes? If so, where i.e. who was the provider?

Thanks!

Cheers!
    QM
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Do you have 10 weeks? In my company, they said that the latest I can start maternity leave is 2 weeks before my EDD. So unless my bb arrives earlier, this would leave me with just 8 weeks from my EDD. Luckily, they are allowing me to take my personal holidays, and also non-paid leaves, so I'll be back next year, when the bb is almost 6 month old.

I don't have the definitely answer to your questions, as this is my first one... But before I decided to take non-paid leave, I was considering expressing milk from work. Actually my sister had a baby 6 months ago, and her baby had some problem latching.... So what she was doing was expressing her milk. I think that as long as you are consistent, and are using a good pump, you can ensure a good milk supply. And you can still breastfeed your baby when you are at home, so you will still have your breast stimulated by the baby.

plumtree is offline Registered User
    Hi QM

Hope you're well!

I went back to work after 14 weeks as I'd been saving my annual leave for the whole year. The hardest thing I found was that my older son had become used to me being at home and was reluctant to see me go back to work! No 2 didn't mind who looked after him as long as he got his cuddles and his bottles :-)

For No 1 I pumped and fed him EBM exclusively till he was 6 months old. For No 2, I supplemented with a bottle of formula each day. Do get a good pump early to experiment to make sure your body gets used to pumping. It was a pain lugging the pump to work each day so I ended up getting a second pump as backup at work!

Emotional needs: as above, it was hardest for me to leave No 1. I think I was too tired (and am still too tired!) for it to really sink in. Not much help I know, but I told myself to take things one day at a time.

Home support: the Matilda helper classes are good and include first aid. It helped that I had a good helper who absolutely adored the baby.

It's not easy but it's do-able. I found that anticipating it was worse than actually doing it, though I must admit that I'm wiped out at the end of every work week!

cheers

Thanks ladies!

Gataloca - I'm in the education field so there's no such luxury of extra time especially when I'm helping the kids with their A Levels!

Plumtree - I'm thinking about asking hubby to drive to work at lunch time or head home at lunch so that I can spend an hour each day with bub.

Bubs are just too little to be handed over at 10 weeks. I'm surprised that there is not a Women's Group that tries to convince the government to change their archaic regulations! Even Sg has 4 months!
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuasimother View Post
    Bubs are just too little to be handed over at 10 weeks. I'm surprised that there is not a Women's Group that tries to convince the government to change their archaic regulations! Even Sg has 4 months!
    Yes! I was wondering about the same thing! But probably people don't realized that 10 weeks is not enough, until they get pregnant! How I wish I were living in UK or Canada, where I can have a whole year of maternity leave!
    Last edited by Gataloca; 06-04-2010 at 04:15 PM.

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    Hi Quasimother

Baby was 9 weeks old when I went back to work.

1) breastfed 4 sessions/day at home, pumped twice/day at work. Bub was breastfed exclusively til 10 mths then weaned. I didn't have a lot of milk, but bub was growing well so I stuck it out. It was a relief when she started solids at 5.5 mths. Its up to you to decide whether you want to top up with formula. To prepare, I started pumping at 6 weeks postpartum to get used to pumping and build up milk supply. My supply did increase but not hugely.

2) Emotional needs - it was hard leaving bub behind. I was in tears on the train in to work each morning the first week. Bub was ok though. She's pretty used to me being away now and til today does not display separation anxiety with me.

3) am very very lucky to have a reliable helper. Helper had taken the first aid course at Annerley's when she joined our household, before bub was born.

Something that helped a lot was having helper bring bub out to meet me at lunchtime 1-2 times a week. We would meet at the 5 star hotel near my office, where I breastfed bub in the handicapped toilet. This made me feel lots better emotionally and also helped keep the milk supply going. We still do this today even tho bub is weaned now (she's 15 mths), esp if I work late or have evening appointments. We go to a nearby playground to play if its not too hot. I did discuss with my husband whether he was ok with the helper bringing bub out on the MTR during lunchtimes, as she was just 9 mths then - hubby was ok with this.

Good luck.

elaine is offline Registered User
    According to my HR, the Labour Law says it's 2 weeks before and 8 weeks after delivery. Most of my colleagues opt for C-section, so they get the whole 10 weeks as they schedule the C-section immediately after they go on maternity leave.

Lisa88, thanks for your input.

Elaine, that's just a guideline to protect mothers. You can now negotiate to take all 10 weeks after delivery. I have done that.

I'm planning a natural birth but will probably induce labour if bub is late. My first was induced and was delivered within 6 hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast