Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Yong family moving to HK

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    AmyH's suggestion fits the bill for all your conditions.
    20-25K will get you a furnished A-apartment with sea views (all rooms - living and 3 bedrooms) at the Gold Coast. There are buses going to many schools from the GC.

There's also Tsing Yi (4 stations from Central/HK Island). Sea views, size that you want and well connected to schools. The newest complex is above the train station. We had a look recently and it was quite nice.

You're not going to get the size you want at Kowloon Station for that budget. Definitely not a sea view - maybe a sliver of a sea view. Olympic station perhaps but don't think you'll get a decent sized apartment.

We had been apartment hunting and the current rental prices are still crazy.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

BabyG is offline Registered User
    geoyoungdaddy,

You are not dreaming. What you need exists if you look for it.

My husband and I had pretty much the same thoughts when looking for a place. I chose to live in Laguna Verde, Hung Hom in the end. It took me 2 months of daily flat hunting to make my decision. It is very near hubby's work which is in Tsimshatsui. There's Anfield Kindergarten downstairs. Transportation is extremely convenient. There is a bus station below my block with buses to TST or a minibus to Kowloon station or Hung Hom station. There's a ferry which goes directly to Central and Wanchai.

There's a market closeby, a huge park n shop in Whampoa Garden as well as a cinema, bowling, lots of kindergartens to choose from and playgrounds for the kids.

I have a 3 bedroom 1,300+ flat and I pay 26,000 a month.

I looked at about 20 flats a day for 2 months including Christmas day! Its definitely hard work but with a little perseverance you will find the perfect place for you and your family. Good luck!

mela is offline Registered User
    To get all the facilities, 120m actual size and close to all the amenities you need to double your budget or move further away like the ladies above suggest. We looked at Kowloon station a year ago and a 3 bedroom flat, mid floor, no sea view and the size 1100 sq feet minus probably 30% was 43000/ I know the prices have increased since. If you want clean. convenient and with lots of facilities for the kids DB seems to be the option or Gold Coast if you don't mind a comute. HK appartments tend to be on a smaller side even if their are 3 bedrooms.Hope this helps

Also maybe you should look at Kennedy Town (not far from Central, green and cheaper than Mid Levels or Pukfulam. But as I said anywhere on the island you would need to up the budget.

geoyoungdaddy is offline Registered User
    Thank you all people!!

BabyG, you are hero!!!
    Cause I had the same story in Shanghai, not 20 a day, but 7-9 for sure.
    So Hung Hom... I see only 3 names - Laguna Verde, Whampoa garden and Royal Peninsula. Please advise me pros and cons for each of these! Which of this is more close to kindergarten, shops, transport, etc?

I have actualy started looking in Hung Hom, then I found this forum and went up looking at each district of Kowloong and HK Island, and now I am back again, and kinda glad about it!

Thanks to everyone, thank you for you advises!

As I see on Google Maps,

- Laguna Verde has a park near by and closer to the sea,

- Royal Peninsula more near to the Metro, but located right in the middle of big roads and traffic, which is not too good,

- Whampoa Garden is in between above two and seems to be a good choice, but there are so many blocks, anyone knows which one would be better?

- and I also see Harbourfront building there under the Whampoa blocks by the sea. They look good... expensive?

Regards to all of you!

carang is offline Registered User
    whampoa garden is MUCH older than what you specified. it was relatively new when i arrived in hk in 1995... i lived in hung hom back then for about 6 months...it sure has changed since i lived there!

rani is offline Administrator
    Royal Peninsula is really nice! Have a friend there and she loves it. Plus you're right by the Cross Harbour tunnel and the transportation links are excellent!

rani, agree with you for the transport... but for everything else?

Are there a lot of kindergartens (like expat kidergartens or bilingual) near these three places to live in Hung Hom? Some playgrounds also?
    Last edited by geoyoungdaddy; 06-09-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast