Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Yong family moving to HK

BabyG is offline Registered User
    Here is my opinion on the following places:

Whampoa Garden- older, I have not looked at any of the flats there. They are right above all the shopping areas and schools. There are no pools or what they call resort facilities.

Royal Peninsula- A bit further away from the whampoa garden shopping area but still walkable (say 10-15 mins). Nice flats, I saw all kinds in all the blocks, my concern was the kitchen layout. It was completely enclosed and small. If you cooked anything smokey or strong, the whole flat would smell because it has no windows except an extractor fan. It has resort facilities.

Laguna Verde- Resort facilities- gym, indoor and outdoor pools, tennis, driving range, ballet room, playroom, barbecue area, tennis, squash courts etc. Next to the sea and parks, shopping, kindergartens, walking distance to the wet market, church, supermarkets etc. Best of all, transportation is really easy. My flat is overlooking the park so I don't have a view of buildings or other people's windows. You also get a good mix of locals and expats here and Royal Peninsula.

Harbourfront or Harbourview Horizon- Cheaper but small. They are serviced apartments. They look like hotel rooms. Minimum stay is 6 months and they charge around 12,000 up / month if I'm not mistaken. Complete facilities also.

ssheng is offline Registered User
    Oops looks like there were a bunch of comments before I got a chance to respond to your questions on kindergartens nearby Kowloon Station, and you aren't really looking here anymore. But just to make the answer complete, there is actually a pre-school/kindergarten right in Kowloon Station (on top of it anyway), which is PIPs (Parkview International Pre-school). There are others near here as well, but that one is 10 steps from any of the buildings here. And definitely agree with other posters, for 20-25K you can get only some of what you want - you will sacrifice on size (can only get under 1000 sq ft for that price), no seaview (although there is plenty of water around here and a nice harbourfront walk once you exit the buildings). Sounds like you have a lot of good options otherwise, however, so good luck!

geoyoungdaddy is offline Registered User
    Scheng, thank you for your answer! Yes, many comments, thank you all, you really helped a lot!!!

BabyG, you infected me with the Laguna Verde :-) (thank you!). I will be now looking in the internet for flats there.

The best websites for HK apartments are gohome.com.hk and hongkonghomes.com??

BabyG, and how are the kindergartens there? Many expat kids also? Nice teachers and other staff? Conditions good? Education?

My biggest thanks to all the answer givers!

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Whatever price you see on hongkonghomes.com is subjected to gweilo tax - it is higher than what you'd be quoted if you were local. Gohome is a little more reliable. But they've recently revamped. You'd probably be able to knock at least ten percent off.

I got my local colleague to ask and took note of the differences in prices. So if you have a local colleague, you could do the same or simply ask for at least ten percent off if you are using those sites.

Just to give you an idea, where we live, on HKhomes, it's priced at $22000 for 1500 sq ft. But you could actually get it for as low as $17500.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

geoyoungdaddy is offline Registered User
    I got it! Thnx for the tip!

And no more websites like this? I see just some local property agents site, which do not have any of a choice...

My regards

BabyG is offline Registered User
    I went through around 7 agents when I arrived in HK and all of them had different listings to show me. What I've learned is to go to the local Midland agency because they have the most listings available in the particular area you are looking at. I found my place through a midland agency in whampoa garden by chance. I was walking around, saw the agency and we enquired.

Unfortunately I don't have answers re: schools because my little one isn't going to school yet. There are many around like Anfield, Learning Habitat, Deborah, William, Cannan etc but I don't have a clue if the education is good. Maybe other mums can help?

I was interested in the West Kowloon Area as well but for my budget the flats were too small, too high and no view.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    You can pretty much choose any kindergarten in the kowloon tong area when you live in Hung Hom as they all have school buses that will pick up your child from your apartment building and drop them home after school.

I lived there for six months when we first moved to Hong Kong in the harbour view horizon. It was a serviced apartment there and we chose it as my husband moved here before I did and wanted me to be able to view apartments before we made our final decision on where to live.

Good luck!

TTong is offline Registered User

We just moved to HK too.

We moved from UK to HK on 8th May. We are in Laguna Verde and I feel its ideal for families. In the building next to us here's dry cleaners, supermarket(parknshop) 7 eleven, kindergartens, restaurants, Centaline (property agency)etc. If we walk a few steps (literally) theres the 1st playpark of many, right at the sea with a beautiful view of HK. A 10 min walk to the ferry terminal. Whampoa is 10mins away for shopping, cinema etc. Hutch. Park is across the street which is a beautiful park with lots of birds ,goldfish, terrapins. Its a beautiful park even has a play park. My girls love it. Regarding kindergartens.....Habitat is full, Victoria has a waiting list of 200. I know Anfield and Deborahs have places for Sept (Our girls are 3 and nearly 2) I have to say the girls settled in well here. Hope it helps you. Good Luck!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast