Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Yong family moving to HK

geoyoungdaddy is offline Registered User

Yong family moving to HK

Hello everyone!!!

We're moving to HK in Oct.-Nov., have 2.5 son. We like DB (been there once), but still want to choose other place, because of the transport and we find DB a bit isolating. We are living in Shanghai for 6 years already, in the city center, so it's not a problem for us.

We like sports, shopping, going out (on week-ends), active way of life!
    The office location is for us to choose, perhaps kindergarten would the most important factor (see that it might be a problem)... Budget 20-25K.

We've started to look in Hung Hon and Kowloon Tong (because of many pre-schools, etc.), but feel like people (expats) are more into South side of the HK Island (Aberdeen, Stanley, Repulse Bay, etc.).. or am I wrong?

Please advise us, where we might find ourselves the best choice for living, for kid and for work, according to written above.

Thnx a lot!

Best Regards to everybody!!!

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I live in the gold coast, which is nea Tuen Mun in New Territories. My son is 5 and daughter is 9 months.

I didnt want to live in the city with young kids so that is why we chose here. there is a club house with Tennis courts, Gym, squash courts, restaurants, bars a market place and many outdoor play areas, footbll pitch etc and it is a 5 minute walk to the beach from here.

There are shuttle buses to the MTR stations and also shuttle buses into central which take 30 minutes.

My son will be going to Hong Lok Yuen school, which will be a 30 - 40 minute bus ride, but the school provide the buses and there are also buses to most of the schools in Kowloon Tong from here, that will pick up outside your apartment building.

If you need any information please feel free to mail me but you can also get information on www.goldcoast.com.hk.

Good luck with your move.

ssheng is offline Registered User
    If you are going for international schools/system, I think living on in Quarry Bay might be a good option (or anything east of it on the blue MTR line). Many of the good international schools are in North Point or have a campus there, and housing is less expensive in the Quarry Bay area. If you live off the MTR line, it's a straight shot to Central and all the nightlife you enjoy.

If you find yourself liking Kowloon Tong or Hung Hom, however, I wouldn't let that stop you from living there! We live in Kowloon Station, which admittedly is a bit closer as it is just one MTR stop from Central, and have never had any issues living in Kowloon and going out on the HK side. There are a lot of expats in this area, actually, since the ICC is here and there is a lot of available housing (not so affordable tho!)

And by the way, we also lived in Shanghai for 2 years before moving to HK. It's quite different, but a lot of advantages from SH.

Thank you for the info!

From what've seen in the Forum and other properties websites, for HK side would be interesting to have a look at:

- ssheng advised - East Side of the Island,
    - maybe Repulse Bay (though it seems a bit too expensive...)
    - maybe also Deep Water Bay or Aberdeen?

Other places seem to be either isolated or too crowded and noisy (like mid-levels).

Kowloon side would be interesting to see:

- Kowloon Station - The Arch, The Harbourside, The Waterfront, Sorrent (accoring to hongkonghomes.com prices also seem a bit too high, but still worth having a look)

- Hung Hom
    Laguna Verde, Royal Peninsula, Whampoa Garden

- Tai Kok Tsui

Island Harbourview, One Silver Sea, Park Avenue

- and some properties in Kowloon Tong would be nice to see also

What do you think is the best choice from above? Or if I have missed something (sure did!)...

More advices will be appreciated very much!

Thank you!

Regards to everyone!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I would consider Tsueng Kwan O area as well, some nice new buildings with great facilities for a reasonable price. Great value for money. I like Ocean Shores, Residence Oasis and Metrotown for example... OS is my favourite though...

And the good thing about that area is that it's pretty convenient both to the island and also to Kowloon Tong etc.

carang is offline Registered User
    aberdeen is hardly quiet and subdued... to me, it is a rather run-down/older area with a lot of high rises, road & water traffic and not much else. wouldn't consider it, myself.

you have given absolutely no idea of budget, which is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY important. we could suggest areas until we are blue in the face, but without an idea of budget, it is a waste of time.

repulse bay/stanley/shouson hill are (to my way of thinking) ridiculously expensive.

mid-levels is crowded (but so is most of hk island) and expensive, but very convenient.

all-in-all hk is a very convenient place. distances are short, so that even if you need to take a taxi, it doesn't cost ridiculous amounts...

ssheng is offline Registered User
    One thing to also note - the quoted sizes of apartments you are seeing can be misleading. If you are looking at a new building and it says, for example, 1000 sq ft., that is likely to take into account a rather sizable clubhouse which has a gym, pool, squash courts, entertainment rooms, children's center, etc. Therefore, the actual size of the flat could actually be as much as 30% smaller!

If you look at older buildings, they generally do not have such big clubhouses, so the quoted sq ft is much closer to the actual sq ft. That is why it's important to go check out a lot of flats. Some people really like the clubhouse and it's worth it to have such facilities (also you can often meet a lot of parents and friends for your kid when you have a children's area).

Btw, I mentioned the north eastern side of HK Island around Quarry Bay due to close proximity to some good schools and your budget, which I think is 20-25K a month. However, it is a bit dirtier and fewer expats as well. So there are definitely always compromises - depends on your priorities. You mentioned checking out Kowloon Station and that's where we live - we really like it, but for your budget I think you would need to focus on Sorrento or the Waterfront, as these have better rent prices, and also pick a lower floor with an interior facing view as a compromise for getting more space.

Yes. Budget is 20-25 K.

Would like to have 120 m2 (around 1200-1300 sq.f., right?) – actual size.

We love sport/fitness, our kid loves swimming pools.

Yes, newer building would be better, but 1999-2002 also look acceptable I think. Do not like dirty places.

Ssheng, are there any kindergartens around the Kowloon station? Where do you usually take your kids out in the daytime and evenings?

Seems, like Hung Hom, Mid-Levels, “Far North” are more affordable for us…, though will never consider Mid-Levels and the New Territories I guess… I will get crazy soon, really need to fly there by ourselves and see everything in reality! But still need to make the “worth looking” list, otherwise we’ll just waste a lot of time.

It is wanted to be all in one, not noisy and not too crowded, but not isolated and with shops and restaurants beside, we like sea, and fitness and pools, like going out on week-ends, and also need a kindergarten not far, convenient transportation… looks like I am dreaming :-)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast