Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Looking for 2nd helper!

HappyNatali is offline Registered User

Looking for 2nd helper!

We are looking for a 2nd helper to look after my newborn baby.
    Both my hubby & I work full time, my 20month girl is going to nursery in Sept.
    The new helper must have experience with newborn, honest, trustworthy and with good track records.
    Please Pm if you know any good DH or have good agency to recommend.

Million thanks

plumtree is offline Registered User
    Hi To be honest, many helpers who are already in HK do not want to work in a household where there's already one helper. Your best bet would be to find someone whom your existing helper knows, or get someone from the Philippines or their home country. I recently hired someone from Phils as a second helper, but I also spoke to someone else who was OK. Will send you PM.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i think it would be easiest if you have your current helper give you some recommendations, so at least the chances of them working together well is higher....

elle is offline Registered User
    I actually disagree with catering to your helper's "needs" as a priority in a search for your second helper who will be looking after your newborn. I don't get to pick who I work in my office with and the idea that I would have to base hiring decisions on our helper's needs rather than our family's and child's needs is silly.

When we hired a second helper in anticipation of our baby we told our helper that we would be hiring a second to care for the child after my maternity leave. We told our current helper, before hiring our second helper, that if she thought she would have a problem with another helper she needed to let us know now. We told the helpers that we planned to interview that the job is in a two helper household and if they don't like the idea, don't bother interviewing. A few had an issue, most didn't. Then, when interviewing for our second helper our priority was finding someone with the best infant care skills that we felt the most comfortable with. Our first helper did recommend two ladies and we did interview them and found that both were entirely unsuitable (one had some pretty outrageous demands, the other had never even held an infant). We ended up going through an agency, but were not all that happy with them, however. It was clear from the beginning that we would be a two helper household and they sent us several candidates that were not willing to work with another helper - a waste of time for all involved.

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    If you are expecting the ladies to be sharing a room, especially given the size of helpers rooms in HK, I would ask your current helper if she knows someone who might be suitable. Doesn't mean you will hire the person, but at least give her the option.
    We have always hired relatives, whether a married couple or sisters, and it has always worked for us.

I've already asked my current helper for referral but I'll make sure she's the right person for newborn.

Plumtree, thanks a lot. I've called the agency and will follow up.

I've thought of part time nanny but options like "rent-a-mum" far exceeds our budget.

Thanks all for your input. :)

plumtree is offline Registered User
    Just an idea: why don't you have someone come in part time to play with the 20 month old? If she's in nursery anyway, if you can get someone you trust to play with the older child and do some fun activities with her, that would take some workload off your helper. Of course, you'd have to think about what you do in school hols, but just thought I'd mention it.

Plumtree, yes, that'd be a good idea. She's already going to a playgroup every other day and that takes her away for 2 hours. I really don't know anyone/ anything else that can keep her busy.

I must say it's my 20-month who is clingy (especially to me, now that I have to go back to work after my maternity leave). The little one doesn't care... so long as he gets his bottle.