Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

early pregnancy scans - do you do it?

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Congratulations!

If it's early, don't choose the invasive scan (via the vaginal passage). Just get the regular scan (tummy scan). Drink lots of water before the scan - it's less invasive on the bub that way. I always drink a bottle before my appts. I used to get a tummy ache after the scan but after starting this habit, I've not had it since.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

baffelly is offline Registered User
    Wait till after 6 week and the doctor can see heartbeat with ultra sound. That will be an instant confirmation.

mela is offline Registered User
    The heartbeat is detected at the earliest at 5.5 weeks. You can do the blood test but to confirm that pregnancy is developing well you do it again after two days to see if the HCG is doubling. If you are worried just go and see the doctor as stress doesn't help:) They might be able to do something for the cramps too.
    The vaginal scan is the only tool in very very early pregnancy that can detect the heartbeat. I had one every week for the first 10 weeks as I had a lot of bleeding. No probs with the baby and there is absolutely no risk of miscarriage which I was told separately by two doctors.
    From 9 weeks onward docs tend to use the tummy one.

Hope it helps and congratulations!

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mela View Post
    The vaginal scan is the only tool in very very early pregnancy that can detect the heartbeat.
    That is not accurate. I had mine at 8 weeks - regular scan by Dr. Ghosh and he detected a heart beat. It was quite strong. He did not recommend a vaginal ultrasound. He suggested I waited til later as he cautioned me about the risk of a miscarriage from a vaginal ultrasound.

He knew that I've miscarried twice before this pregnancy.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

mela is offline Registered User
    I meant very very early as in 5.5/6 weeks at 8 weeks you can see the actual tadpole. maybe different doctors advise different things. I too had two miscarriages but nobody warned me. I suppose I will ask next time I'm pregnant.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I've never heard of the correlation between the vaginal ultrasound and miscarriage. I can't see how it would be any worse than sex!!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Good point nicolejoy! :-)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all the pre-empted congrats. I think I will wait a while before I can comfortably accept them though:)

I`m still on the fence about whether to go or now or not. I figure that if I go on the weekend and get a blood test, by the time I get the results I will be about 6 weeks pregnant and it would be better to then get a scan and forego the blood test...Or I might just decide to go on Saturday and say the heck with it.

About the transvaginal ultrasound, I also haven`t heard any correlation between that and miscarriage. I checked online as well just now again. I have had several and in fact, I would only try for an early u/s using a transvag one instead because of their sensitivity. I had an early(7wk) scan with a regular u/s and they couldn`t see anything! I was really freaking out and then I went straight to a different hospital and has the transvag one and there my little guy was, with his heart a pumping:)The only thing I can think of it that caution is given from the school of thought that u/s are not good for the baby and being that much closer could cause more harm. Or in certain pregnancies, just having something inserted could be a bad thing and those pregnancies are often warned against having sex as well.

Anyway, I do know if I go now they won`t be able to see much, and will tell me to come back, but they can at least see if things look normal for this time. We`ll see how I feel in a few days.

I hope that in the near future my next thread will be about how tired, sick, fat and disgusting I feel, how my back feels like it`s breaking every day, how my toddler is driving me mad, and how I don`t know how I`ll be able to physically and mentally handle an active needy toddler and a newborn all by myself. Haha!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast