Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

early pregnancy scans - do you do it?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Update:
    I went to my doc`s today. To my count(27 days dpo), I`m one day less of 6 weeks.
    I got the transvaginal u/s done and we saw a sac measuring just less than 1cm, and the yolk sac. But not fetal pole and no detection of heartbeat. I feel like the doc was a bit ambiguous about things and basically said either to come back in a couple of weeks, or if I wanted to know faster, to do the blood tests. So I did one today and will do another on Friday and get the results on Saturday.
    I was feeling quite discouraged because I really hoped to see the fetal pole at least... Anyway, as long as I was obsessing, I bought another HPT and I got a super dark line...so I guess that`s something...
    I hate the waiting. Also it`s not nice to be experiencing pregnancy symtoms if the pregnancy is not viable. What will be will be, I know, but...
    Ahhh!

dimsum mum is offline Registered User

hi shenzhennifer

congratulations!

at this stage of the game, an ultrasound is not so useful. the yolk sac is visible, but not a heartbeat. wait until seven weeks at least.

what you do want are two HCG tests, taken two days, 48 hours apart. and you are looking for your number to hopefully double. say if your first test was a monday, and the result was 140, on wednesday, you would be looking for a number around 280. this indicates that the pregnancy is continuing on.

i don't blame you for wanting to know...and the two beta/hcg tests are the best way to find out.

Good news: After I did the 2 blood tests and got great results a couple of weeks ago, today I saw the little heartbeat. Yay!

Bad news: Somehow I miscalculated my dates and I'm nearly a full week behind what I thought I was. So I'm just 7wks 3 days. That's one more week of feeling like @&%$

AND
    The new private doctor I went to see today (for the first and last time) was a complete arrogant jerk. I won't even go into details because it would take toooo long and really, I was only there for one thing: to get the heartbeat. So sayonara to him. I just don't understand where these private doctors get off treating patients like that, considering the amount of money they're paid by us. Sheesh. I'm almost looking forward to seeing the public doctors - can't complain about their unfriendly and arrogant surliness when it's free.

nbw
    nbw is offline Registered User

Congrats on the positive results! What a huge relief for you!

Don't get too excited about the public doctors. I went home crying the other day : (

After waiting THREE hours, I finally got to see the doctor. She was absolutely horrible. HORRIBLE. All I wanted to do was go home...and I don't mean the home that was a bus ride away. I wanted to go back to the States so badly. This woman's English was horrible; I am not trying to be mean because my Cantonese consists of about five phrases, but I am not in a profession that forces me to interact with foreigners about extremely important issues. She was brusque and rude. Again, I understand that they are busy, but honestly, it is not my fault that one of the doctors came in late...don't take it out on a pregnant woman! She refused to actually listen to me, she wouldn't make eye contact, and when I showed her my earlier ultrasounds, she didn't even look at them all, just handed them back to me...

As she was attacking my uterus (she was very rough and it was painful) she asked if I was going to do the Downs screening privately or publicly. When I told her that we weren't planning on it, she looked at me like I was some kind of freak and then proceeded to talk in Cantonese over my body to the attending nurse. I am getting seriously angry just sitting here.

She didn't write a thing down (there were spaces on the "first visit" page for information such as fetal heartbeat, uterus size, etc)--nothing. She didn't say anything. After being at work all morning, waiting for three hours, then getting barked at by this b.... I was already tearing up in the office. My husband finally asked what blood type I was because he is B-. She responded saying that I was O+. Stare. My husband asked if that could be a problem...she just got up and walked away. Finally, she came back and said no. After we all just sat there, she said, "If you are done, you can leave now."

Thank God, I had been going to a private doctor or I would have completely lost it--11 weeks and I would have had absolutely no real prenatal care, actually it would have been until 17 weeks (my next appt) or 20 weeks (what would have been my first ultrasound). She never asked about vitamins, never said anything about food...I have five ovarian cysts that have been causing a lot of discomfort--it is in my file from the registration visit, she didn't even bring it up. When I finally did, she asked what the private doctor said. When I told her that they had to be monitored, that seemed to be enough for her...guess I will be paying for that one myself.

So anyway...when you go, be prepared for the worst. Be ready to be assertive. Have the questions you want answered written down so that if you have a horrible wait or an annoying doctor, you can still feel at ease with the (free : ) appointment.

On a brighter note, when I went to register, though I had to wait for a long time, the nurse was lovely. She was kind, patient, helpful, and spoke clear English. I am hoping that next time I go, I will have some better luck and end up with a more competent doctor. I don't need to be coddled or pampered, but I do need to be treated like I am vaguely human :)

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    I've never heard of the correlation between the vaginal ultrasound and miscarriage. I can't see how it would be any worse than sex!!
    HA HA HA!

and congratulations jennifer!!! sorry about the extra week though.

nbw - Oh my goodness!!! Thanks for the heads up for potential awful doctors. What a terrible woman. Here I was wishing for a woman who might have a bit more empathy or a better bedside manner (of course, my ob/gyn in China disappointed me there too, but she was more than a great doctor in the competence dept.).
    It's awful when you are totally caught off guard with people's rudeness like that. I'm sure you had tons of things in your head to say to her later, always the case.
    I guess the bright side in this is that you probably won't be seeing her again as apparently it's different docs all the time. And if you do, you can be ready for the B$#%h!

Liquorice is offline Registered User

nbw, you should write to the hospital and complain. Hopefully your doctor will be made aware of the complaint and she may be encouraged to adjust her attitude in future...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123