Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

early pregnancy scans - do you do it?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan

early pregnancy scans - do you do it?

I`m about 5 weeks pregnant with my 2nd. Very planned this time around. I`m slightly less obsessive with this pregnancy (my third - my first was a miscarriage), but I still just WANT TO KNOW.
    I took THREE different home pregnancy tests a few days apart each, and each time there was a faint line. It didn`t get much darker each time...with my last pregnancy it was a VERY DARK line, so I feel a bit worried this time. I read that any line is a positive, but I`m just worried that my hcg levels are not so high, which is of course, ominous.
    But then I definitely feel some early pregnancy symptoms - exhausted beyond belief, terrible back pain, cramping, and I already look like I`m showing (yuck!). but the cramping can also go the other way, you never know...:(
    So, I`m just weighing my options of whether I should go to the doctor this weekend and either get just a blood test (I want to see if my hcg levels are normal) and/or get an early scan (but from my past experience, it`s only the sac that can be seen now, so apart from knowing that it`s not ectopic, what`s the point, as the doc will tell me to come back in 2 weeks anyway...). Or just wait it out a week or so and then go back.
    I guess I`m just a bit hesitant because it all gets pretty expensive. I spent a lot of docs and u/s with my last one and was hoping to be a bit more sensible this time.
    Then again, I just want to know...I`m sure everyone can relate to that. The early pregnancy is such a hard time, anything can happen. I know what`s meant to be will be, but I JUST WANT TO KNOW!

jvn is offline Registered User
    Mid-Levels, Hong Kong
    Congratulations! I think so anyway, I heard a line is a line is a line and it doesn't matter how dark/light the line is.

Can totally relate to the just wanting to know though, I'd go if I were you but then I have health insurance... having said that, I think the whole first trimester is a bit like that, every time the symptoms changed I was suppressing the urge to go and get a check up, 'just to make sure it's all ok'. I'm hoping to be more chilled next time too but....

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    congrats shenzhennifer - i agree with jvn, a line is a line BUT coz of your first miscarriage, you might want to get it checked this weekend.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I would go and get a blood test if I were you, if only for peace of mind. I was never shy of going to my doctor with my concerns - for spotting in the first 7 weeks. I went twice and had a scan. At least it can put your mind at rest. A blood test isn't so expensive either, so relatively easy.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Congrats! As other posters have said - a line is a line is a line. Just FYI - if I was in your situation and I called my OB and told her nurse what you just told me, she would have told me a line is a line and organized an appointment for me in a week or two. She would also say that the doctor wouldn't be able to see anything this early anyway. BUT - if you are really worried and it would put your mind at rest, then do go. I would be the first to always call my doctor or my first child's doctor if I ever had any questions so I'm not a shy one around doctors - but then again I have insurance through work.

I would say do what makes you feel the most comfortable and puts you at a peace of mind!!

zyxwv is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    Big congrats to you Shenzennifer!

As this is #2 for you, I assume you are counting 3 weeks from conception plus 2 from last period as the OBs do. What about calling your OB and asking when the earliest is that they anticipate being able to see a heartbeat and scheduling that appointment now?

I'm a bit further along than you with #2 and know just how agonizing the wait can be when you want to have it well and truly confirmed! However, for me, it was better to wait with nervous excitement for the appointment than it would have been to schedule too early and then not have a heartbeat. I can't imagine having had to wait to go back fearing that there was something wrong because there was no heartbeat the first time.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    Congrats! I would wait until 6-7 weeks when you can most probably see the heartbeat. I've also had 2 pregnancies which I carried, and one miscarriage - I lost the bub around 6-7 weeks and at the scan (5.5 weeks) there was no sac and no heartbeat... It's definitely reassuring to see the heart beat when you can!! The miscarriage rate is much lower after a heartbeat is detected...

I'm so happy for you and your family :) :) :)

Gataloca is offline Registered User

About the scan, I would not bother to get one this soon. Probably I'll take it at around week 8, when you should be able to see a heartbeat.

My 1st pregnancy ended in m/c at week 8, and my 2nd one was a partial molar pregnancy.... So I understand when you say that you want to know. But there is really not much to see at week 5, and there is not much that you doctor can tell you at this point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast