Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Subchorionic Hematoma

City Jammer is offline Registered User

Subchorionic Hematoma

Hi, I've finally been diagnosed with subchorionic hematoma and I'm wondering if anyone had it in HK and which gynecologist did they see? It's been very stressful and frustrating, with QMH not willing to take my case because I'm living on the eastern part and I'm already registered with Pamela Youde (before I found a doctor who knew exactly what I'm suffering from).

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Hi there

I had a subchorionic haemorrhage at 9.5 wks, thought I'd lost the foetus, but it was still hanging on (albeit with a slower heartbeat).

The subchorionic haematoma was directly behind the foetal sac, and measured about 5cm x 2cm (the same size as the sac at the time). If the clot had come away after that, it probably would have flushed the foetus out as well. I was on bed rest for 3 days, and then had to take it easy for the next 7 weeks while the haematoma healed. Gradually, it shrank away - I had occasional spotting, though no more haemorrhages.

So after the initial scare, all has been fine and I'm now at 36wks.

My doctor was Christine Choy. I've read a thread on here giving her a bad rap, but I had no problem with her (I switched to a different doctor who could deliver at Matilda). She was very caring during a scary time.

I hope your haematoma also heals up and your pregnancy continues uneventfully. Best of luck.

mela is offline Registered User
    I had that too - 3 weeks on a strict bed rest led to re -absorption. I was advised not to exercise in the first trimester. The rest of my pregnancy was uneventful.
    Hang in there!!!
    Good luck

P.s. maybe if they won't accept you in QMH it would be worth it to see someone privately especially that in most cases there is little they can do other than bedrest and observation so probably no need for a hosppital.

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I started bleeding at 10 weeks and it's gotten worse week by week (I'm now 22 weeks). None of the doctors at Pamela Youde could figure out what's wrong and did not give me medical leave. I went to two other private gynecologists who too couldn't tell me what's wrong until I saw Dr. Cora Ngai two weeks ago. My frustration is that Pamela Youde does not accept Dr. Ngai's diagnosis and I keep feeling that if this was diagnosed earlier and I was kept on bed rest much earlier, it might not have escalated to this point (there are now two clots instead of one). Luckily, baby's growing well but I'm told the risk of preterm labour is very high for me. Unfortunately, I'm told by all three private doctors that private hospitals will not be able to cope if I go into preterm labour.

mela is offline Registered User
    It's true no private hospital will take you that early. I'd imagine If you went very early they would still transfer you or the baby to QMH as I believe they have got the best facilities fr pre term babies. I know it's frustrating but it really is the case of see and wait. I was only allowed to go to the toilet and back when I was n the strict bedrest. Every day, week you keep this baby going inside gives a better chance so take it easy. Private doctor will issue you a medical leave - I got three months in the end because of early contractions later and my employer didn't question it.

Just to cheer you up a bit - I ended up at 24 weeks with pre term labor all panicking, got lot's of drugs, got sent back home. Kept worrying about contractions. In the end I ended up being overdue despite the fact that everyone expected me to go to labor any minute as I had constant contractions and shortening cervix.

Best of luck

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Why don't you go private at QMH? Then you can go there to deliver and they do have the best pre-term facilities.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    if you decide to go private at QMH - all you will have to do is get your OBGYN to write you a referral letter to the doctors at QMH so that they will take you on. unfortunately I only know of one doctor there, but she's not someone I would recommend, but if you ask your own OBGYN she might have some connections or perhaps some recommendations of doctors there...good luck with everything!

Just saw Dr. Cora Ngai this morning and things didn't look too optimistic. The right clot has disappeared but the left clot is getting bigger (10 cm). Amniotic fluid appears to be getting less and she thinks that I'll feel the baby's movement less in the next two weeks as it will affect his development. She noted that my bleeding is getting worse rather than better each week. If my baby doesn't make it, my life is at risk too. She's given me another letter and addressed it to Dr. Lee, who's the head of the High Risk Obstetrics unit. Dr. Ngai also advised me that QMH is much better equipped to take care of me and my baby than Pamela Youde in my current condition. We're praying that we can at least make it past 28 weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top