Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Any experience with chinese medium??

carang is offline Registered User
    1) 9 month, kindergarten? no... too young. kids don't generally start pre-nursery until 2 yrs and kindergarten at 3 yrs-ish.

2) playgroups, yes, there are playgroups around that are conducted in cantonese. as a playgroup instructor (and owner) i believe that before 10-12 months is too early for any kind of "formal" playgroup. after that, kids learn a lot, if you find the right group.

for playgroups, generally, if the kids are younger than 2 or 3, they are accompanied. you could NOT drop a 10 month old off and pick up again later... it would be impossible for the teacher to accomplish anything at all in such a situation.

3) most local kindies have interviews. not all of them have, though. my son's kindergarten didn't have one, though.

4) the age to start looking really depends on the kindergarten you are considering. the one my son goes to was really the most simple and straight forward procedure you could have asked for!

5) lisainhk joined geobaby last january... her post is from yesterday...LOL!

Lisainhk is offline Registered User
    Thanks again Carang! I certainly don't intend to start him in playgroup just yet. Just curious about the options. And I don't think I could leave him alone yet either so accompanied sounds good :)
    Hehe Flobash we are in the same boat! And yes as Carang mentioned, my post was yesterday and I joined in Jan. I used to get that confused all the time! I was wondering why all the posts were so old! haha

solidstars is offline Registered User
    I've been thinking about schools recently too, too many people telling me that we need to enroll soon and 'queue up' and all that... my son's almost 15 months old.

lisa do let me know if you come across anything interesting, we're on a budget too and i still have yet to decide what type of school (english? local? mix?) he should go to...

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    My older daughter started at the local Chinese school at 3 years old, and is now finishing up Primary 1. Everyone kept telling us that she would catch on and be fluent quickly, but now in her 4th year of school, she still struggles. We've realized it's because she doesn't get any reinforcement of the language at home. My dh speaks Cantonese to her when they are doing homework together, but that's about it. We've also realized that if she is going to improve much more, that we'll have to get her a personal tutor to come for an hour 5 days a week.

My other problems with her being in local school is that I can hardly participate in her experience. I.e. I can't be part of the PTA because I don't understand what's going on. I can't chaperone for field trips because I don't understand what's going on. I can't help her with most of her homework because I don't know Chinese... It has been very frustrating at times.

Yes, i do want to learn Chinese, but I have nobody to care for our 2nd child while I am at classes, and classes can be very expensive.
    All the best,
    Katie

flobash is offline Registered User
    i have posted a new thread asking anyone for any suggestions on cantonese speaking playgroups. Carang - thank you for explaining the difference playgroups - kindy - nursery etc, i think i get it now - and the date of the posts ahahah - obviously i don't use this site enough :-)

Katie, very interesting feedback from someone who is going through the process, and in fact i have heard from other people that their biggest problem is not being able to participate in their child's education experience. i can totally see that would be frustrating, what are you going to do ?

i'm with lisainhk - i think i'll give it a go and see what happens, if charlie doesn't pick up cantonese or settle in well i will look to change his schooling and perhaps encourage him to pick it up through after school activities.

but at the moment that is a while off, for now i'm going to try and find a playgroup - lisainhk - shall i keep you informed as to what i find?

Kate

carang is offline Registered User
    ctr: if your Dh can speak cantonese while doing homework, why not speak it all the time to her?

Gabriel ma is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisainhk View Post
    Has anyone had experience putting their child straight into chinese-medium school straight up? Is it possible even though the parents don't speak Cantonese? I'm looking at the possibilities for my 10 month old. I've heard the waiting lists are massive. But I recently heard that it is possible for a foreign non-chinese speaking child to start at Chinese Medium as they soak up the language quickly. Any mums with experience in this? Or do I have to send him to ESF or an international school?
    My son has a few non-Chinese classmates since Pre-nursery class (2 years old). They could understand Cantonese, English and Mandarin after 2 years of learning.

flobash is offline Registered User
    lisainhk - i have found a very nice lady who runs cantonese playgroups, i will be setting one up in Gold Coast/Tuen Mun area if you are interested? it is $200 per hour per child and includes everything, to be paid in advance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast