Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Any experience with chinese medium??

mambo is offline Registered User
    carang, just curious if you could pm me the name of the local primary you chose. I'm also having a dilemma as to what school would be suitable for my boy and what 'local' school would be appropriate for his learning style. thanks.

carang is offline Registered User
    no need to PM... we have chosen
    Sai Kung Central Lee Siu Yam Memorial School

they have now introduced an "english" stream that uses english as the main language and putonghua as the chinese 2nd language... and a "chinese" stream that uses cantonese as the main language and english as the 2nd language...

i haven't yet decided which stream to go for, but leaning towards trying the cantonese stream first to see how it goes.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I don't have this experience, but I guess I can share my experience growing up in a foreign country.

My family moved to to Venezuela when I was just 3 year old. My parents never learned Spanish (my dad speaks a little bit, and my mum only learned to say very basic things, like numbers). We were all placed in local schools (there weren't any Chinese school back then, and international school would have probably been too expensive for us). As I was just 3 year old, I could get accustomed very easily... My brothers however, who were 9 and 11 at that time, did have to struggle a lot with the language.

I think what really helped us catch up with the language was the fact that we were really surrounded by it, and we really use it everyday... We didn't have many Chinese friends, and even the Chinese friends (kids) that we had would try to speak Spanish with us. We watched TV, and the programs were all in Spanish. We went out, and every sign was in Spanish.

I think if you really want your kid to learn Chinese, in addition to putting him/her in a Chinese medium school, you have to really encourage him/her to use it. For example, instead of watching English program, encourage him/her to watch local Cantonese programs.... Take you kids out, and let him/her play with local kids, etc...

jodymo is offline Registered User
    Can anyone introduce some of the names or the Cantonese medium pre-school's and playgroups that they have had success with and the areas...it's a maze out there, and it seems many more are interested in pursuing this line of education. Anywhere else to go for information?

thanks!
    JM

SAI KUNG LOK YUK kindergarten is GREAT!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    We are 2 western parents with 3 trilinual kids.
    Our kids were educated in nursery/kindergarten in a 100% Cantonese environment (Lingnan).
    They then graduated to a 90% Mandarin environment (KCS).
    We are slowly transitioning them to an English environment as they are getting old enough for secondary school.

It is not easy, but very doable. You will need support (extra tutors) as you wont be able to help with their homework and you will also need to keep the language up with extra curricular activities.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

HC

solidstars is offline Registered User
    carang, just wondering how long it takes you to get from where you are to sai kung? isn't it a bit far?

there is no school bus that comes into the country park. school starts at 8:45am. my helper is on the bus with the kids at 8am. they could go a little later and get the minibus, but my kids prefer the "big bus". they arrive in sai kung about 8:30am.

we don't really have much choice because of where we live. LEAPFROG is much closer to us, only about 5minutes away. New Song is also closer, about 15 minutes away. woodlands would be about 15 minutes further than my son's current kindergarten.

there are a few other local kindies in sai kung, but we liked the outdoor space and environment of Lok Yuk.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast