Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not lying on your back after 16 weeks

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Not lying on your back after 16 weeks

How serious/important is this rule that I have been reading about in my pregnancy books, that you shouldn't lie on or exercise on your back after week 16? I will be 16 weeks later this week and I'm not even showing. Doesn't it apply more when the baby is bigger or doesn't it matter what size the baby is? Seems strange to me that it is required so early...

hbw10 is offline Registered User

yes, i was just discussing this with OB/GYN recently and it really applies to bigger babies as the danger is that the baby will press on your blood vessels. the danger is also actually to YOU and not the baby.

banane76 is offline Registered User

Baby puts pressure on your major blood vessel, the inferior vena cava so your bloodflow gets hindered. It's better for you so the blood flow continues properly. My doctor recommended not to lie on my back after 20 weeks.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Some doctors in some places don't even recommend that. I don't think it's an issue until later in your pregnancy when the baby is much bigger. And I think that your own COMFORT will tell you when the baby is too big for that. I probably would start trying to not sleep on your back (because you might want to get out of that habit now) - but as for exercising for short periods of time, I think it's ok until much later in your pregnancy... I still lay on my back for short periods of time (like 15 min here and there) and I'm 35 weeks...

Gemma is offline Registered User

I found myself actually getting short of breath lying on my back for a while, think it was around the 16 week mark too. So yes, your body will tell you.

banane76 is offline Registered User

Same here actually, I would feel faint and a bit nauseous if I lied on my back too long. Listen to your body!

Portia is offline Registered User

My doctor also said to just listen to your body. He said that you would feel faint and know to turn over or sit up.

southside852 is offline Registered User

there's really no way you can sleep in any one position for that long of a period when you are pregnant. Btw getting up for the bathroom and just being uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry about it. I think I must change position every 15 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast