Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Buttermilk ?

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    city super at ifc

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Maybe the ParkN'Shop in my place has it then... but I don't even know what it's supposed to look like. Is it like fresh milk ? do you mix the powder with water ?

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    The one I've seen in PnS and Marketplace is a liquid in a 1 litre carton (like a milk carton), but isn't usually with the milk. Nearer to the yoghurt, cheese, UHT cream section. It's St Paul's brand in a blue carton, and is often next to a similar-sized yellow carton of St Paul's custard.
    Like milk, it doesn't stay fresh for long, so maybe the powdered version is better value if you're just making small quantities of food. I've often just used a few spoonfuls and then had to throw it away a few days later.

StareBear is offline Registered User
    I've mixed milk with vinegar and it works almost the same (although i think cakes made with true buttermilk are slightly better)

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Buy the Australian liquid version (Parmalat) and make the buttermilk muffins using the recipe on the side of the carton. They are to die for and actually semi healthy (lots of fruit!!). Also, they are just a nice frozen and defrosted so good to keep in the freezer for "emergencies". The other thing is buttermilk pancakes - so light and fluffy (recipe on the Parmalat website). As you can tell I love baking and I love buttermilk!! Let me know if you find any other good recipes.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I'm in Central tomorrow... time for shopping ! I've got a few recipies with buttermilk but haven't been able to try any till now... for sure I'll let you know as soon as I find a good one !

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Frenchy

I've used the recipe that requires milk and lemon juice then leaving it to stand for 20 minutes.

Good Luck!

Cheers!
    QM
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top