Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

18 month baby to learn French!

mama_miamia is offline Registered User
    Hi reei

That is nice, I was a bit hesitant to introduce a new language to my son as well. Then I noticed many other children begin learning languages at an even younger age, then I thought why not?

I was planning to enrol my child during the weekdays (Mondays, Wednesdays, and maybe Fridays). Still thinking about it though, I still want my son to join the French playgroup first.

kept reposting!
    Last edited by mama_miamia; 06-23-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: duplicated

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Does it really worth it? I mean, introducing the baby to a new language, when that language is not regularly used at home.

Actually my sis had the same idea when she had her son few years ago. She said that the baby brain is like a sponge, and will absorb whatever he is in contact with. So she started speaking to her baby in Cantonese and Spanish. Her husband speaks really bad Cantonese, so he just spoke in English with the baby. She also placed the baby in a nursery, and the lady was from mainland China, so was kind of speaking to her son in Mandarin. ... Although my sister was swearing that the baby was able to understand a lot, he wasn't talking till he was like 2 year old (I know, some baby develops the verbal ability later than others)... And was basically a mix of every language he had contact with.

Now the kid is 3 year old. My parent went to visit them few months ago (in Vancouver) and ended up complaining that the kid doesn't speak Cantonese, but only English...

reei is offline Registered User
    hmm.. it is not worth it , if the language is not used often enough. not just for kids, even for adults being away from malaysia for a long time, i tend to forget how to say certain words in malay. languages,, just like any skills if you dont practise often enough, you just lose touch with it.

I also think it might be worthy of a try? I have a close friend (they are english speakres) that has a Cantonese nanny and the nanny has been taking care of their child for 4 years now. The child eventually caught on to some Cantonese when she was younger, but now she understands but cannot speak simple Cantonese words anymore.
    Generally, I think if the child continues to learn the language it will be worthy?

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Yes, that is what I mean. If you are really going to keep using the language, then it would worth it... Otherwise, would just bring up confusion to the kid... Like if you don't speak French or Spanish, what would be the point to put the kid to a French or Spanish playground, if he/she will not have the change to use what he/she has learned outside the playground?

I think Hong Kong provides a good environment for kids to learn Cantonese, Mandarin and English..... Other languages than those, may not worth it, unless they also use it at home.

jenflower is offline Registered User
    Hi mama_miamia, I am glad you like the centre.

I agree with the others too, it is certainly important to keep up with the language learned. I hope your son will enjoy his lessons there as much as my child does!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12