Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Recurrent Fungal Nappy Rash in 12 month old

sherwes is offline Registered User

Recurrent Fungal Nappy Rash in 12 month old

My poor little girl got a fungal nappy rash about 6 weeks ago. It was after 2 lots of antibiotics in a row for 2 bouts of double ear infection. To make it worse she has had mild runny poo for about 2 weeks which stings her poor red bottom.

I have tried everything - nappy free time, anti-fungal cream, desitin, very frequent nappy changes, not using wipes, pinetarsol in her bath, daily probiotics, stopping fruit in the diet. Nothing seems to work! Has anyone else had this experience of fungal nappy rash in an older baby? If so, I would really appreciate some tips as my poor little one is becoming miserable.

We are off to the doctor tomorrow morning so hopefully he will be able to help too but I know that mums are sometimes a better source of info for nagging worries like this....

geomum is offline Registered User
    Yup I have experienced this nightmare in both my kids and empathize with you completely. Since you have tried everything I would suggest using Daktacort 3-5 times a day. Rub it in until fully absorbed and then apply Destin. If she gets loose motions do this at every nappy change. When the rash goes away in a few days apply Daktarin for next 3- 4 weeks in the same way. Also give her Nystatin for few weeks orally. Be very very stringent about it. This is what I did and would advise you to read online or seek doctor's advise before taking mine :)

geomum is offline Registered User
    Didn't mean to say she would get loose motions with Daktacort, incase anyone misunderstands :)

flobash is offline Registered User
    oh no - you poor thing, what an absolute nightmere, the only help i can offer, and you've probably already done it, is switching to cloth diapers (the modern ones) i have heard quite a few moms swear by them after having a number of nappy rashes. sorry i can't be more help !

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for the replies everyone. The doctor gave us a stronger cream that contains antibiotics as well as having antifungal properties (this sounds like a contradiction in terms I know). He also suggested giving her soy formula for a week just to see if that helped with the loose poos. He pointed out that babies sometimes get a little sensitive to lactose after an upset tummy so switching to soy formula for a week or so until she recovers might help.

So 4 days on....the loose poos are clearing up so perhaps the soy formula was a good suggestion. This means that the nappy rash is getting a little better as we are not wiping her fragile skin 8 times per day. However, the thing that has made the biggest difference (I think!) was my helper's suggestion to use powder rather than Desitin. Within one afternoon of using Mustella powder on her bottom rather than Desitin we saw a huge improvement. I was very sceptical but it really seems to have helped. Let's hope that the improvement continues over the next week.