Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Eating in HK

nbw
    nbw is offline Registered User

Eating in HK

Hi all,

I hope this ends soon, but I kind of hate eating right now. Sometimes I want something, but usually that something is rather inaccessible (like a Chipotle burrito bowl salad with lime chips...mmm or a Grimaldi's pizza, sigh). I don't live in the most Western of areas, so I don't have easy access to one of the international supermarkets.

I used to eat at the chop shops all the time, but I am not sure how safe that really is, nor do I even want soy sauce chicken or choi sum anymore!

I know all pregnancies are different, but I was hoping you could clue me in on some of the foods that have been working for you. Also, I would love to know if any of your doctors told you to avoid certain foods in HK. Obviously sushi and undercooked eggs and meat--but what are people's stance on deli meats (I have heard conflicting info) and the like?

I can't tell if I am nauseous or hungry anymore : ) but I think I need to start eating more smaller meals/snacks in order to feel better.

And advice would be much appreciated!

Frenchy is offline Registered User

All tastes are different, and they evoluate through the pregnancy... well, at least mine did ! I'm craving for chocolate and am not interested by salad anymore, while I could eat one everyday before. For my first pregnancy I was craving on junk food, and can barely eat french fries for the second baby, but I could eat dim sum every days !!
    Eating smaller portions is the best option, on all when your stomach is getting higher, to avoid reflux.
    As a snack, I try to eat a bowl of mixed yogourt with fruit and cereals.
    But I can't wait to be able to eat raw fish and non pasteurised cheeses again !!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I totally know how you feel. When I was pregnant with my son, I felt exactly like that. I had planned a trip to Thailand before I found out and by the time I got there, I couldn`t eat a thing! All Asian food repulsed me and all I could eat was yogurt, fresh fruit and salad, and western bread.
    Now for my second pregnancy, I`m feeling a little bit like that too. I know that nauseous/hungry feeling. What I find most appealing is often food made with fresh ingredients like salads, fruit, sandwiches, pastas.
    For Deli meats, as long as it`s cooked meat, it`s fine. Smoked meat is not, and should be cooked until steaming. Also in question is the nitrates used in the smoking, also in smoked salmon (how I would love to eat smoked salmon cream cheese right now though!). Otherwise, I eat a lot of sandwiches.
    Oh, and soup - campbell`s soup. And granola bars. Cereal, muesli, crackers, nice bread.
    I don`t know where you live, but my local Park N Shop has all the basic necessities to get by.

nbw
    nbw is offline Registered User

Thanks for the input : )

A new package of natural Quaker granola bars magically appeared at Park-n-Shop the next time I went food shopping. I love them (and so does my husband!)...I don't shudder when I eat them, which is a nice change of pace. Whenever I am near a Pret-a-Manger I grab a blueberry yogurt pot.

The Thailand vacation sounds awful! I was sick when we went, and it was hard enough to eat...I wanted to so badly! At least the fruit is amazing there!

banane76 is offline Registered User

The Marks and Spencer yogurts are yummy too!!!