Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gataloca

Baptist or Union Hospital?

lunar is offline Registered User

Baptist or Union Hospital?

Hi All, :bounce
    I'm new here from the Uk. My husband and I are trying for our first baby and I've been reading through these threads (I have NO idea about babies or giving birth, let alone in HK!!)

So far Matilda seems to be really good... but I think it's just too far from us cos we live in Tai Po.

I'm considering checking out the Baptist and the Union... has anyone given birth in these hospitals? Pls share your experience!!
    And any good doctors that comes with these hospitals that you would recommend?
    And what should I look for in a good hospital?

I really want my husband to be in the delivery room with me. Also I want the baby to be able to "room in" and my husband to see it loads (not only for 30 mins per day).

lg969 is offline Registered User
    IVE NEVER BEEN TO UNION BUT i JUST MADE MY booking at baptist. they seem to be quite professional. due in for another appt soon so am making a list of questions to ask my doc soon
    l

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Don't know about Baptist, but I think you cannot have the baby room in in Union Hospital, unless you are staying in a private room.
    Ocha likes this.

mumsy is offline Registered User
    If you are covered by insurance, I would definitely make the trek down to the Matilda.
    However, I've been to both Union (2005) and more recently Baptist (last Dec) and would definitely choose Union. I only went to the Baptist because I was waitlisted at Union.

The Baptist looks old and run down, more cramped and seemed very busy/noisy with lots of people around all the time. Union was very nice back in 2005, more quiet, spacious and clean looking, and it has since had a renovation so even better now.

The rooms at the Baptist are nice except no natural daylight - the window is covered with a plant/flower display. So I would say the Union rooms are better, simply because you can get natural light and a good view of greenery.

I had a private room so baby could room-in with me or they would wheel him to me whenever he started crying. I noted that other mums not staying in private rooms were not treated as well, and since they had to feed in the general breastfeeding room they were encouraged to top up with formula.

If you don't opt for a private room at Baptist, husband/family can only LOOK at baby through a window for a short time. At Union, I believe they have 30mins slots where husband can actually hold the baby but you have to sign up beforehand.

Both hospitals allow husbands to attend labour/delivery. At the Union I was given a private room during my labour. At the Baptist, I was allowed to labour in my own room but when I requested entonox gas I was transfered to the general labour room which is like a ward with lots of beds and curtains.

I would still take a tour of both hospitals, and see of any of the policies at the Union have changed since it's been a while since I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by lg969 View Post
    IVE NEVER BEEN TO UNION BUT i JUST MADE MY booking at baptist. they seem to be quite professional. due in for another appt soon so am making a list of questions to ask my doc soon
    l
    Pls let me know how you get on!!

Mumsy- Yeah i've heard that the Matilda is known to be more like a 5 star hotel than a hospital!! i have thought about it, only the journey is just too far for my husband and relatives as we're all in around Fanling area. The Union and Baptist seems a lot more practical for everyone...
    but from what you have said, i'm definitely leaning in more towards the Union. and I definitely want my baby to be roomed in (at least to have that choice) and if i want a rest, the nurses can wheel he/she to the nursery.
    my husband definitely wants to hold the baby more than 30mins a day.... so think we will have to work round that one!! Or he'll not be too happy a daddy haha!!

but thx for all the replies!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    If you are covered by insurance, I would definitely make the trek down to the Matilda.
    However, I've been to both Union (2005) and more recently Baptist (last Dec) and would definitely choose Union. I only went to the Baptist because I was waitlisted at Union.

The Baptist looks old and run down, more cramped and seemed very busy/noisy with lots of people around all the time. Union was very nice back in 2005, more quiet, spacious and clean looking, and it has since had a renovation so even better now.

The rooms at the Baptist are nice except no natural daylight - the window is covered with a plant/flower display. So I would say the Union rooms are better, simply because you can get natural light and a good view of greenery.

I had a private room so baby could room-in with me or they would wheel him to me whenever he started crying. I noted that other mums not staying in private rooms were not treated as well, and since they had to feed in the general breastfeeding room they were encouraged to top up with formula.

If you don't opt for a private room at Baptist, husband/family can only LOOK at baby through a window for a short time. At Union, I believe they have 30mins slots where husband can actually hold the baby but you have to sign up beforehand.

Both hospitals allow husbands to attend labour/delivery. At the Union I was given a private room during my labour. At the Baptist, I was allowed to labour in my own room but when I requested entonox gas I was transfered to the general labour room which is like a ward with lots of beds and curtains.

I would still take a tour of both hospitals, and see of any of the policies at the Union have changed since it's been a while since I was there.
    Thx for the info!! But what was the service like in both hospitals and any recommendations on Ob's??

mumsy is offline Registered User
    Staff at both hospitals had good attitudes and were professional.

Admissions and pre-delivery examination were more thorough at the Baptist - physical examinaton, urine test, enema and a little shaving down there. At the Union, I just got a physical exam to see how far you are dilated.

Labour - at the Union, I was assigned one midwife to oversee me. At the Baptist, I had a few different midwives come and see me which is perhaps a good thing, just in case someone misses something.

Delivery - I liked the upright birthing chair that they have at the Union, whilst I was flat on my back at the Baptist and they then tilted the bed when I was ready to push.

Post-delivery - you get the same temperature/blood pressure/medication checks at both hospitals. Baptist offered twice daily cleansing of the vaginal area - but since I was already up and about, I preferred to shower myself.

At the Baptist there always seemed to be a constant stream of people coming into my room - cleaners mopping floor/emptying garbage, refilling drinking water, changing sheets etc. At the Union, I wasn't disturbed as much so I felt more rested.

I think you do get "more" service at the Baptist which may be better for a first time mum or if you've had a complicated delivery. I had a very straightforward delivery so I preferred the more peaceful/restful environment at the Union.

Shatinbaby is offline Registered User
    Hi All

Now nearly six months, and i too am expecting my first in HK. I also live in the NT's at Shatin, and have been to look at hospitals and have paid my deposit for the Union to secrure a private room which allows room in and as the rooms all have sofa beds, my husband can stop over should we decide.

My problem really comes as although i have been under the same consultant since 12 weeks, she has set her fee at $40,000 to deliver, and continues to try and encourage me to have a c-sec. Now i am a healthy, active women, with no, as of yet, complications,who would rather opt for a natural delivery. So i contacted Union and it seems i am really stuggling to find a Doctor who will support and encourage my choice. A fact i can not believe i am facing! I want to be sure that my doctor helps me to the best of their abilites to take the natural route and not at first hiccup decide to cut.

If anyone has any suggestions re Doctors please let me know. I was very impressed and felt quite relaxed about the Union as a facility, but i am really starting to panic slightly over the OBGYN side of things. I have also been advised that $40K is top end for an OBGYN, which to be honest i would find the money if i felt she would honour my birthing plan.

Help!