Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is flying too uncomfortable at 30 weeks?

zac08 is offline Registered User
    both but mainly cardio - about 50 min on the xtrainer or bike. wore a belt to make sure my heart rate stayed below 150bpm. with weights i kept it light and repetitive. it really saved me, the exercise! both my babies were born quickly (was only in labor 5-6 hours with both of my boys).

hkmom1 is offline Registered User
    Yes varies by pregnancy but I would also highly recommend it. After the bub is born will be a while before you get some great one on one time with the hubby. I traveled to Greece at 32 weeks and didn't have too much issue, though be sure you have that doctor's note ready. I lost my note on vacation and the airline almost didn't let me back on the plane!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I flew at 26 weeks, pregnant with twins (30 weeks with my singleton, also last flight). Luckily I was in business, both were transatlantic, but I was flying by myself with a toddler. It was the last flight I made. I wasn't really into flying anywhere. Also you have to realize (and make sure you're medically / financially covered) that you could be going into preterm labor while at your destination, and you may get stuck there for quite some time. It depends on your pregnancy, previous pregnancies, but there are no guarantees. So take it into consideration, and think about the care at your destination, and if that meets your requirements.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    depends on how big you are. i flew transatlantic at 22 weeks and it was very uncomcomfortable as our baby is quite big. was in economy with my 28 month yr old too. i will fly back to asia at 28 weeks and can only imagine it will be worse. yes, make sure you've got your doctor's note, stockings and make sure you hydrate yourself throughout the flight. if you are on a long flight, i would try and do business class.

If it's a short flight - maybe worth it, but as it's so close to delivery I would tend to only travel to major cities with good healthcare in case of any emergencies.

BabyG is offline Registered User
    I am in my 30th week and just arrived from a holiday last night. It was a 2 hour flight and I felt fine. The trick is to get up, walk around and drink plenty of water.

I would highly recommend a holiday before the baby is born because it might take a while before you can travel if you wait until after the birth.

Flack is offline Registered User
    Just remember if you are going for more than 7 days to see if you will need another doctors letter before returning. I had one before departure out of HK and then had issues trying to get back a week and a half later because my letter was more than 7 days old. I did get on the flight but it was a bit stressful at the time. Check with the airline on the specifics of their policy.
    Last edited by Flack; 06-24-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Lisainhk is offline Registered User
    I took a 10 hour flight at 32 weeks and didn't find it any more comfortable than usual. But everyone is different. I agree it's worth it.

canadianmom is offline Registered User
    I've done 21 flights since I have been pregnant. My last one was in my 36th week. It was only 3.5 hrs, in biz class and yes it was uncomfortable but not impossible.

I also did 13hrs at just over 32 weeks (also biz class). Flight was fine, but I did sleep a lot in the next 2 days due to dehydration.

I had notes for all my flights from 28 weeks on...and was NEVER asked for one. Even at 36 weeks, visibly pregnant - no one said a word to me.

I second the comment a pp made regarding being prepared to deliver somewhere else. Make sure you know your options and your obstacles...hospital, level of medical care, emergency passports, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12