Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Cervical cancer vaccine?

crystal88 is offline Registered User

Cervical cancer vaccine?

Hi,

Anyone had this done? i went for my yearly check up today and was convinced by my OBgyn to have this vaccine, he said all women should have this, i agreed but regret that i should have researched it first, i'm reading the net and some had bad side effect (although i know all vaccines has different effect on people).

It should be 3 shots accdg to my doctor. I got the Gardasil brand.
    Hay, i should stop reading the net as i've done it already.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    I think it's a good idea (though I have't done a lot of research into it). But I think it is only effective for women under a certain age (i.e. under 30? or something like that?) and since I'm over 30, I didn't think it would be effective for me anymore.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    This vaccine is generally done on teenagers... and it prevents only one sort of papilloma virus.
    Why does you doctor think you should have it, are you at risk ?

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User
    thats really strange that he should advise it, because the risk of cervical cancer INCREASES with the vaccine if you have had prior sexual intercourse, which I'm presuming you've had!

I've been reading a lot about the vaccine and the scary thing is teenagers who go to the doctors with their mums, are they going to tell the doctor, "Of course I'm a virgin"? When they are not? At 14 - 16 years...?

It seems ok to give the vaccine at the beginning of the sexual life (but preferably not)... adults are not concerned as long as they already had sexual contacts.
    I think your doctor just makes zeal at your expenses...

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    There are two cervical cancer vaccines - Cervarix and Guardasil. Guardasil covers a broader range of other viruses than Cervarix but they both deal with the particular strain that causes cervical cancer.

The vaccine does work on women up to 45 years old but with less efficacy than on younger teens. Even if you have had abnormal smear test results before, as long as they are clear now then you can take the vaccine.

The idea that the risk of cancer increases with the vaccine if you have already had sex is absolute nonsense. Sorry if I offend but it is this sort of scaremongering that is detrimental in developing countries (and developing ones it seems) where there is low awareness and education about cervical cancer, its causes and preventative measures. Cervical cancer is a very high killer of women worldwide. Fortunately the incidence of cervical cancer has been dramatically reduced in developing markets due to increased awareness and women taking action such as regular pap smears, but it is still a problem in developing markets - the WHO estimates that only 5% of women in developing markets have been screened via pap smears.

Anyway, Crystal88, I would ask your doctor about side-effects and get a second opinion - or even a third - if you are worried.

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Correction

The idea that the risk of cancer increases with the vaccine if you have already had sex is absolute nonsense. Sorry if I offend but it is this sort of scaremongering that is detrimental in developing countries (and developed ones it seems) where there is low awareness and education about cervical cancer, its causes and preventative measures. Cervical cancer is a very high killer of women worldwide. Fortunately the incidence of cervical cancer has been dramatically reduced in developed markets due to increased awareness and women taking action such as regular pap smears, but it is still a problem in developing markets - the WHO estimates that only 5% of women in developing markets have been screened via pap smears.

I would mostly insist on the fact that, even with a vaccine, pap smears is necessary, as the vaccine does not cover all sorts of papillomavirus... and any other sexual disease. Also, there are been some discussions about the efficiency of the vaccin on a long term.
    I'm surely not an expert, but as the product is quite new, there is not enough hindsight to talk about the real efficiency of the vaccin... I've just been personally concerned by the problem.