Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please advise me travelling with baby

lkstar is offline Registered User

Please advise me travelling with baby

Hi all,I am planing to fly after giving birth a month later its about 6 hour journey,i am not so sure if it is safe and suitable for baby.please any moms knows and who has experience travelling after given birth with a baby please kindly advise me how does its works.I appreciate if any one could share some advise or suggestions.please email me on :[email protected]
    Many Thanks

carang is offline Registered User

a friend of mine flew with the baby from melbourne (or sydney?) to hk, which is about 9 hours.

if you are breastfeeding, it is MUCH easier and MUCH "safer" in that all of the antibodies that your body produces are passed onto the baby through the milk. this means that the baby has help with immunity. this is something that formula just can't replicate.

newborn babies are REALLY easy...they do 3 things:

1) eat
    2) sleep
    3) poop/pee

not much else.... makes travelling with them very easy.

StareBear is offline Registered User

I took my daughter to Sydney when she was 5 weeks old. Cara is right it is a great age to travel with them, especially if you are breastfeeding. We did an overnight flight and she pretty much slept the whole time, other than feeds.

The one thing I would say is that you will need to start your passport application for the baby almost as soon as it is born as for us anyway that was a three week process.

Also if you can try to delay a feed until takeoff and landing as it is easier for the baby's ears to adjust if they are sucking.

Most appreciated your advise.Many thanks

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

I also flew both times with newborns around 5 - 6 weeks old. Definitely get the passport sorted as soon as possible as we wanted to fly as soon as it was ready (taking baby home while on stupidly short maternity leave - unreasonable HK maternity laws blah blah) and the earliest we could fly was 5 weeks as took that long to get the birth certificate and passport application process completed.

Very easy to travel with a newborn and I had a 12 hour flight then a 1.5 hour domestic flight.

SB2

Wow its take 5 weeks to process birth certificate and passport,its too long and i am not sure in that case i could travell,Thanks star sharing your experience with me.

carang is offline Registered User

the birth certificate takes about 3 hours (at least it did for my two).

passports depend on the nationality. the canadian passports take 15 (?) working days.... so, 3 weeks. BUT you CAN get an "emergency" passport. they are more expensive and only valid for 1 round-trip, these only take a day to issue, if memory serves me correctly.

ps> for canadian passports, you MUST apply for the citizenship card either first or at the same time as the passport.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Agree with Cara. The birth certificate process is fairly easy (maybe my reply was confusing as covered both the birth certificate and the passport process). We had to be told by the hospital when to go and get the birth certificate and they handled the application process.

Passports timing totally depends on the nationality. New Zealand takes 5 weeks or so because you have to apply for a citizenship certificate first since the baby was born out of NZ and only once you receive that can you apply for the passport. Lots of fun trying to get a "neutral facial expression" photo from a one week old baby!! If you have a stringent passport process (like we do) then would suggest you email the proposed passport picture to the passport office first before you send off the application in case it is not approved. We did this and made the process but smoother than sending it off and being told that the photo was not acceptable and having the application sent back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast