Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Hand, foot mouth disease

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Hand, foot mouth disease

A few weeks back there were a lot of news articles about the hand, foot mouth disease in HK as there were a lot of cases. Does anyone know if that is still the case? I would like to send my 15 month old to some playgroups but am a little worried about the virus....i guess what makes me more worried is the fact that I am pregnant with my second and I am afraid not only that my son could catch it, but that he could give it to me too! I guess you can't really worry too much about these things because there will always be some virus or other floating around HK that will be in the news (avian flu, swine flu, hand foot mouth, etc.) and you can't hold your older child back forever....it's just that I sometimes am overly cautious and worried and want to know what other mommies out there think. Thanks for any thoughts!

carang is offline Registered User
    i run a playgroup. we sterilise daily. if we see any child put any toy into the mouth, we remove the toy when said child is finished with it and sterilise it, too.

it is impossible to sterilise every toy between every class. it is a virus that most kids recover from rather quickly.

if you have concerns, due to your pregnancy, i would talk to the doctor to see what they say... then make a decision based on medical advice rather than on what other people "think" is ok or not.

reei is offline Registered User
    not just playgroup, we have to teach our children and "fathers" to wash hands with soap often, especially when they just come home. make a habit to wipe hands with antiseptice wipes, especially before meals when you go outside.

LinkBacks (?)