Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

public hospital - husbands allowed during sonograms?

charade is offline Registered User

public hospital - husbands allowed during sonograms?

I've been going to TKOH for checkups and my husband has come along (they let him into the consultation room after the physical exam is over). So far no checkup with ultrasound but I have one coming up next week. Was wondering if in the public system they let your husband watch the ultrasound with you? If not, don't want my husband to take time off work to come.

blessed is offline Registered User
    hi Charade - for the ultrasound do you refer to the 20-week scan? i've done mine at the QMH back in May and my husband was with me during the entire scan... actually the screen was facing away from me, so my husband was the one who really had a good time seeing the details during the process. The sonographer was really detail and explained everything clearly in English to hubby so hope this would be the same experience for you @ TKOH.

carang is offline Registered User
    i think my hubby only missed one or two scans out of about 15 i had over two pregnancies...

Thanks ladies... I saw this just before I left for my appt today and had already decided to ask my husband to come. At TKOH, they had a big tv screen so both of us could see. Only thing the doc was a mumbler but he did answer my questions and luckily I knew what to look for and ask about.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    haha, seems that all the doctors doing the scan there are the same???! I also had my week 20 scan done at TKOH, and could only heard half of what the doctor said.... She was kind of talking to herself, instead of to us.... But did answer the question when we asked her, like the sex of the baby.

I think it's the older (more senior) docs who are bad communicators... or rather, have to be nudged into communication. Kind of bizarely, after we saw this doc and I asked him whatever I wanted, I had to wait and they got me to see another younger doctor. She was very clear and chatty and explained the sonogram. I took the opportunity to ask her everything and some more again :)

On the other hand, I did a Downs Syndrome screening at Queen Elizabeth and the doc who did the sonogram looked stern but turned out to be very nice and chatty.