Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pain in the Calf Muscles

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    A little off topic - but I wanted to ask banane76 about pregnancy massages at Sutherland-Chan. Actually a friend also recommended that to me. Was just wondering if all the massage therapists there are trained to do pregnancy massages or are there a few who specialize in it. Also, how are pregnancy massages done since I suppose you can't be lying on your stomach.

More on topic - I get calf cramps too - but usually in the middle of the night. The only thing that helps it to get better is having my husband massage it for me! Poor guy is now trained to jump straight up in the middle of the night when I scream in pain to massage my calf!

LeahH is offline Registered User
    try getting a foam roller and in the evenings, roll on your calves. this made a huge difference for me together a LOT of foot-rubs! Just made sure the foot rub people had experience of where/where not to massage.

Robinson is offline Registered User
    I get the occasional cramp at night. I think stretching during the day really helps. Also when the cramp hits remember to pull your toes towards yourself (don't point them).

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Sutherland Chan is amazing, not sure if all the therapists are trained in pregnancy massage but I have never had a problem getting someone with the right skills. I even had one there in the very early stages labour (didn't know i was in labour - it was an excellent good start...). I lay on my back.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Hi FutureHKmom,
    I'm a massage therapist at Sutherland-chan and we're all trained to do massage for pregnant women. We have a cushion that you can lie on your belly, but if you are not comfortable with that, we can do the massage sidelying as well. The foam roller, like LeahH suggests is awesome during your pregnancy! We can show you how to use it if you don't know how already. I used it for my ITBs (iliotibial band on the side of your thighs) and calf muscles. My name is Anna, but the other therapists that are great are: Lindsay, Sher, Starry, Rosemary, Ky, and Justin. You can check out our profiles on the website: www.scchancentre.com.hk They need to be a little updated, but check it out.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the info Anna! Actually, the good friend who recommended Sutherand-Chan to me gets massages from either you or Ky! I think I will call and see if I can get an appointment in sometime in the coming weekends.

sea princess is offline Registered User
    Try a calcium supplement. It can be associated wih growth spurts in baby's and mums are always scarificing their own stores to make sure the baby has everything it needs. I have used this a lot and found it very effective. Best away from Iron supplements (if taking) and in the evening with dinner. Look for a calcium citrate or chelated form which are well absorbed and utilised by the body.

solidstars is offline Registered User
    futurehkmom, when i got my pregnancy massages i did them all lying on my stomach! they had a special bed with a huge supported hole in the middle and i had the most fantastic massages up until a week before delivery.

unfortunately the place closed down already but all their masseuse got absorbed by elemis day spa in central, just fyi. i can probably dig out the lady's name that I always asked for if you want, let me know!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12