Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pain in the Calf Muscles

dpmother is offline Registered User

Pain in the Calf Muscles

Hey Friends!!

Being in my 3rd trimester now & gaining weight from left & right looks like my calf muscles are getting really worked out ;)

The pain in the calf muscles appears sometimes in the day &
    is really bad during the nights….
    Awww I pity my hubby who gets up in the middle of the night to give me a quick massage…. So that I can get some sound sleep…

Does anybody have a similar experience & has tried out some grandma’s home remedy or some magical treatment ;) for the calf muscle pain….&
    has disappeared ??
    I’ve tried the heat pack, stretching exercise, soaking the legs in lukewarm salt water, etc..etc…but all in vain :(

Would really appreciate if you can share some remedies that have helped you!!

Thanks in Advance !!

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    i used to get muscle cramps on my third trimester too. to make it better, hubby used to massage the calf while i "tried" to wriggle my toes. i noticed that i only got it in the mornings (while getting out of bed) when i had walked for a good one hour in the previous evening. if i'd walked only half an hour then i wouldn't get it in the following morning. i shortened my walk of one hour to half an hour afterwards and i stopped getting it.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    As Aava said, it is probably muscle cramps which unfortunately you can't do much about - keeping well hydrated especially in this hot weather may help. But please mention it to your ob as there is higher risk of deep vein thrombosis in pregnancy and this can be dangerous, so you should get it checked out. I have had it twice and had none of the risk factors for getting it, but pregnancy is definitely one. It's more likely to be cramps but better to be safe than sorry!!

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    Hi - this is what works for me

1. Calcium supplements - or drink more milk
    2. Wearing socks in bed - wierd but true
    3. Having a pillow under your knees so that circulation remains good.

Good luck

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I got them BAD in my first pregnancy - now I'm 36 weeks pregnant with my second and it's not as bad. Here's what I think made a difference for me:

1. I stretch them a lot. I've been doing pilates since my firstborn was about 6 months old and my flexibility is a LOT better than it was before she was born. I try to stretch my calves specifically at least a few times a day by either sitting down and touching my toes (harder with a big tummy in the way!) or doing lunges etc... I think this is the MAIN difference between my two pregnancies.
    2. I make sure that my legs don't get too cold at night. I still wear long pants to bed and also have the sheet over my legs. I find that when my legs are cold, they cramp a lot more. I also have the AC just pointing towards the head of our bed instead of swinging and I find that helps. I sometimes get too hot at night - but I'd rather wake up a bit sweaty than wake up with the sharp pain of leg cramps!
    3. Pillow between the legs helps for me too.

For me - in my first pregnancy, at this stage I would get those cramps throughout the day, and EVERY single night - it would wake me on average 2-3 times a night. The difference in this pregnancy is enormous. I only get maybe one cramp a week now... it's much better!! Leg cramps were one of my WORST pregnancy issues first time around... this time they're much more minor :)

dpmother is offline Registered User
    hey thanks ladies for the useful tips !!

i did try putting a pillow under my knees
    & yeah i think the long pants idea really works.....as suggested by nicolejoy :)
    ..also as ava mentioned i think i'll stick to walk one day & swimming one day..
    i think doing both in one day can be tedious....
    sazzy iam taking calcium supplements as suggested by my doctor !

the pain did not completely vanish but i must say its much less now :) thanks again for the useful tips !

&TNT thanks for this insight....i did mention to my doc in my last visit....
    but i guess it was not so bad then..i'll mention it again in my next visit :)

iam wondering does anyone know of any massage ladies who can come home for prenatal massage... ??
    what are their app. Rates per hour ?
    will be grateful if u can pass on their contact details too !

guess a massage will help relieve the pain a bit more !!

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Hi DPmother,

I'm a massage therapist who trained in Canada and perinatal massage was required to learn in the curriculum. I work for a clinic called Sutherland-Chan Centre which is located on 50 Stanley St. on the 19/F in Central. There are about 7 of us that work there and also an osteopath works there. You can book a massage to see someone at the clinic, but sometimes we can arrange onsite treatment. If you come to see us at the clinic, it's 800 for one hour, 1200 for 90min or 650 for 45min. The phone number is 2544-5838. Another thing that can help stretch your calves is to purchase a foam roller which you can use to massage your calves and legs. The muscles get a lot tighter as the bump gets bigger and circulation is more difficult with the increase blood volume. Best of luck!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    You know what else you could try - I haven't tried it myself, but it might work... you could probably get those knee length kind of "flight socks" and that might help... If I was having the pain really bad this time, I'd probably try that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast