Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Districts of Kowloon

carang is offline Registered User
    yes, i'm sure you will find those things in kowloon tong.

virtually all of hk & kowloon are crowded.

you need to choose:
    close to the action
    or
    away from the action

also, $25k is not a huge budget, so your choice will be limited.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I think you'll be fine with a 25K budget for a 3 bedroom. Seems a lot of the foreigners on this board are spending more than that or living in bigger places, but 25K is enough for a regular sized 800-900sqft flat. They just take some getting used to for size.

temajie is offline Registered User
    Thanks again. I am sure it will be much easier once there. For the moment, Kowloon districts are just names on paper, I have no idea of which ones fit more my lifestyle.

jennifer, i agree that $25k is nothing to sneeze at (i've NEVER paid that much)... but compared to some expats, it's not a lot. i know people paying well over $100k/month (TOTALLY insane unless company is paying for it!)

for areas like kowloong tong it might not get you as big of a place as somewhere further afield was the point i was trying to make and not doing a very good job of it.

also, not knowing what the OP is coming from it could be a VERY difficult transition if they are used to a big house with garden etc. to move into an 800' flat, which in actual fact is closer to 650' when common areas are deducted.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Try:

1. Tsing Yi - Harbour View. ESF Tsing Yi. Learning Habitat - if you are looking for a bilingual kindie. International School buses also pick up at the bus station of Maritime Square. Apartment size about 1000 sq ft to 1300 sq ft. for your budget. Tsing Yi Park is great for the kids as is the waterfront promenade which is littered with playgrounds. And, a shopping mall for whatever daily basics you need.
    2. Olympic Station - Lots of apartments with Harbour View. Smaller sized apartments because it is closer to the city. Lots of international school pick-ups too from that area. Not as green as Tsing Yi.
    3. Sai Kung/Hong Lok Yuen if you don't mind the commute. Hong Lok Yuen has it's own international school. JIS is also round the corner. Lots of green in Sai Kung. Both areas are better if you own a car.
    4. There is always Park Island which is better in terms of provision of transport as not only is there a ferry to Central, there is also a shuttle to Kwai Fong and Tsing Yi. Cheaper alternative to DB (though not always). Also known as Dog island as lots of dog owners there. Facilities are great.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

kellyst is offline Registered User
    I'm in Cheung Sha Wan / Lai Chi Kok [estates are Pacifica, Liberte..] , not a very 'popular' expat place, i've see a few around, but a few huge estates probably matching your budget. It's NOT a Class A area, but we've been very happy with the convenience, shopping right downstairs and the nice facilities. Other thing also is that it should also fall around your budget.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Cara - hey, if you know someone with a 100K+ place, can you get me a playdate? Sheeeeesh, cannot imagine that place!!! WOW!

Re: Lai Chi Kok - my friends live near LCK station (Banyan Garden - very nice apartments, normal HK size, FAB clubhouse), but I have to say I hate going there because LCK station has NO escalator or elevator and you have to walk up stairs, which is an absolute nightmare with the stroller and waiting around for no one to offer help. They're building a covered walkway to the apt complexes (to be completed this summer but I would doubt it) and I would PRAY that they will include an elevator from LCK station in the plans, but...who knows. Just FYI...

Oh, also Kowloon Station has lots of nice apartments there(on top of Elements mall), but I think some are a bit pricey, thought you still might be able to meet your 25K budget.

i know a few people, some local, some expat with MASSIVE places... like over 5000'!

a local family for whom i used to teach live in stanley, about 10 minutes walk from the market. view overlooking the beach, stand alone house. private swimming pool that wraps around 2 sides of the house. carparks for 4...of which they have one ferrari and one porsche PLUS a porsche MPV....

another is an expat family...they live in DB, have a 5168' house with about 4000' garden (don't know exact dimensions)... at the time, they were paying $75k (it was SARS and they got a "good deal" as it was the same as the guy's housing allowance.)... THEN hubby quit his job and they were stuck paying that rent for another 6-8 months out of their savings! (can't imagine having that much in savings!!!!!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast