Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Districts of Kowloon

temajie is offline Registered User

Districts of Kowloon

Hello everyone,
    I am still figuring out where we should settle in Kowloon. We want to be in a place close to parks, kindergartens, supermarkets, metro/bus station and not too crowdy and noisy. We were also thinking it would be nice to live close to the harbour/beach (we are not used to very urban life).
    What are your suggestions?
    Are there very nice districts in Kowloon to live in and some to avoid?
    Someone advised me to consider Laguna Verde in Hung Hom, any other idea?
    Thanks

carang is offline Registered User
    ummmm.... budget?

solidstars is offline Registered User
    gold coast?

next to the harbour and next to the beach are two VERY different things.

from the sounds of thingss, you need to forget kowloon and look at the new territories: discovery bay or sai kung sound like they'd be right up your alley.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Except for the 'urban' part, Kowloon Tong seems to be THE place to go if you're into kindergartens. I've met locals here in Tsuen Wan who are moving there just to be close to decent schools. Of course they have all other shopping amenities that you would expect and it's kind of in the centre of Kowloon so very tranport accessible. But it's not near any water.
    Hung Hom is VERY urban and very busy, though very centrally located especially for going to HK Island.
    Gold Coast in New Territories is nice and close to beaches. There are shuttles into TST and some other major working places, but all in all, it's a bit removed from the other areas. It's not near an MTR, it's just on a highway and you would have to take buses to go anywhere, - the Gold Coast area itself is very small - it doesn't have any sort of town centre (you'd have to go into Tuen Mun) - and is a bit resorty-feeling. But not a bad place at all.
    A lot of foreigners seem to migrate towards Discovery Bay, but it's not accessible (easily) to Kowloon (assuming you or your partner will work there?) in any way.

yes, kowloon tong is an option, but it still comes down to budget and what they want to get for the money they spend....

also, on a note about DB, it IS accessible to kowloon, just get the bus to sunny bay and hop on the train...

temajie is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your answers.
    I am not considering DB because it is kind of isolated to me, too far from Kowloon. Gold coast is also too removed for me. The more I read the more I find it difficult to satisfy all my criteria :) I am probably too idealistic when I say I would like to live in a quiet area but close to Kowloon crowdy city center...
    Is Kowloon Tong that expensive? I try to keep my budget as high as possible because I'd like good standard apartment with nice facilities for my kids (playground, pool) but cannot go over $25000 for a 3 bedroom. May be in my dreams :(
    I was (and still am) considering Hung Hom because of the location and facilities and I know there are a few kindergartens too, but I did not know it was crowdy. As far as I remember, Central area was much more crowdy and "kid unfriendly" than Kowloon, but I may be wrong.
    Are there playgrounds and nice things to do with kids in Kowloon Tong? For example, my daughter would love little tutu (ballet) classes, do you think I can find some easily walking distance from Kowloon Tong. This kind of things.
    Thanks

solidstars is offline Registered User
    hung hom is quite child friendly but we try to avoid going there during the weekends (yes it's quite crowded).
    i think hung hom is more convenient compared to kowloon tong but that's just me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast