Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Mandarin tutor / classes

kellyst is offline Registered User

Mandarin tutor / classes

Looking for recommendations for either private mandarin tutor or good mandarin classes for 5 year old. Preferably in Kowloon. Any recommendations?
    thanks.

Hmmm..Seems to be having big problems getting referrals, could find threads with them either. I'm looking for a private tutor and would like to preferably go by referral. Anyone? thanks :)

samy-hk is offline Registered User
    I can teach mandarin.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    My daughter (age 9) goes to Susan’s Mandarin Centre (Tel: 9846-5029) in Wan Chai and we are very happy with her lessons. Sometimes my daughter is alone and sometimes with a small group. She actually likes being in a small group better. She has a friend who is in the same class and the two of them are quite competitive which seems to really help her learning.

My son also went to the same tutor for extra lessons before he took his GCSE this summer and I believe this will make all the difference to the exam result (due out in August).

Best wishes,
    SARAH

yeh.. thanks much Sarah!

ssheng is offline Registered User
    Learn Mandarin Chinese - Putonghua | Kent Chang

I've taken Chinese classes in the US, Shanghai and now HK, and I would recommend taking Chinese with Kent. He has a real teaching certification from Beijing and another language certification (check out the website and he explains it better than I do) and therefore speaks Mandarin with an excellent, proper accent (you'll find that there are plenty of people who can speak Mandarin, but that doesn't mean they really speak properly). He is a very dedicated teacher, so if your child isn't ready to spend some significant time learning, might be a little too challenging. If you were looking for just some fun exposure to Mandarin, there are a lot of places out there that teach; plus, you could even form a playgroup in your area with a few Mandarin speaking moms. If you are more serious about your child really learning Mandarin, I would go with the one-on-one proper teacher, however. I've been leaning Mandarin my whole life it seems, and it's a hard language to master, so I think takes more focused dedication.

Good luck! :)
    Last edited by ssheng; 07-20-2010 at 07:38 PM.