Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Poor Latch

elaine is offline Registered User

Poor Latch

I suspect my two week old baby is not latching correctly. Is there anyone that I can go to to "review" if the latching is correct? I checked with the nurses at the hospital and MCHC and gave me some tips but I'm not able to execute them. There were some videos that I referred to on kellymom's site and they further reinforce my thoughts that there is something not quite right with the latching. Baby nurses for 10 minutes each time and as a result, she gets hungry every hour! Any other advice is also appreciated! Thanks.

geomum is offline Registered User
    You know what to do it seems, so just keep trying. Your baby's latch will get better as she grows, 2 weeks is very young still. But would be interested in knowing what the exact problem is?

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Contact Annerley Midwives (there's an ad to the right on this site) or Yvonne Heavyside (The Family Zone - 9887 3235). You can arrange antenatal / lactation consultant visits from both. I think the Matilda have a lactation consultancy as well. Plus there's La Leche League HK (internet search and you'll find it). A good lactation consultant can work wonders.

Good luck! It's important to get the latch sorted as soon as possible - otherwise you may end up with damaged nipples, low milk supply, a hungry baby and a poor breastfeeding experience.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Keep trying! 2 weeks is still very early...I think the advice the others gave you is good too - don't stress about it though since that will affect your milk supply. It will only get better...I remember with my first baby it took me at least a month to get it "right"...with the 2nd now, it took me 2 weeks - thought it'd be instant, but I guess things don't work that way! Anyhow, relax and your baby will get the hang of it, as will you!

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    The reason I would always suggest getting professional advice is that sometimes it's not 'one of those things that will get better by itself'. It could be that your baby is tongue-tied (as both of mine were), that your nipples are flat (can be remedied by different techniques), or other causes... why suffer if a lactation consultant can make your life and baby's life easier, and immediately reduce your stress?
    Best of luck!

elaine is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the advice and feedback. I will keep on trying - I did not realize that it would take some to get the latching right.

The problem is, baby nurses for only around 10 minutes before stopping and she does not want to nurse anymore. She would get hungry every hour and my nipples are sore from frequent nursing.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I agree with Honkyblues, it is important to get some help asap. Actually the best time to get some help to breastfeed is right from the first feeding ! Maybe there is not much to change but it will make your life much easier, and your baby too.
    By the way, even when latching properly, the nipples can be sore during a few weeks...

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I agree with Honkyblues, get help now and it saves a lot of grief later. It took me awhile to get it right and I can't thank Hulda enough from Annerley. It was to the point where I almost gave up and thank goodness for my hubby and Hulda. We persevered and now my baby is great at latching, even in the dark! Yvonne is also really great! I recommend either! I've also heard of Wendy Sellinger who I think you can contact through Yvonne or Annerley. Good luck and don't give up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast