Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How to help relieve baby gas?

lukabella is offline Registered User

How to help relieve baby gas?

Hi, Everyone

Ever since my milk has come in fully, during and after breastfeedings my baby has been experiencing a lot of uncomfortable gas. We've tried burping him in all manner of ways, massaging his back and stomach, taking periodic breaks between feedings and altering feeding positions to help the milk go down and reduce the intake of air, but nothing seems to work. The only real relief he gets is when he is able to fart and release a big poo. Otherwise he can spend an hour crying and wriggling around in discomfort.

Can anyone suggest things my husband and I can do to help him relieve his bottom gas? We hate seeing him so miserable :(

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Hi Lukabella

We always burbed him over the shoulder after each feed. But when that didn't work, he was propped over my lap - the way Frenchy described it and it worked. Make sure you have a blanket over your lap as sometimes, bubba may throw up the milk. If he does, it's ok. Don't panic over it. They throw up quite a bit.

I hope it clears up.

Cheers!
    QM
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    You could try Gripe Water (available at Bumps to Babes, Mannings etc) or an anti-colic remedy that contains Simethicone. The latter is not metabolized by the body, but simply works on the stomach gas to break it into smaller bubbles, which are therefore less painful. Anti-colic remedies are definitely available at B2B - sorry I can't remember the names, but just look for Simethicone as an ingredient.
    Also, there may be something in your diet bothering your baby. I found if I ate chocolate, my baby would be very fussy and gassy.

Portia is offline Registered User
    One brand of the anti-colic remedy mentioned by Honkyblues is Infacol.

Scroll to top