Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Biting!!

Lisainhk is offline Registered User

Biting!!

Arrgh! My 10 month old has started biting during breast feeding and laughing at me when I say 'stop it'. He has never taken the bottle. He can't get the hang of it. I reallllyy need to wean him ASAP. I expressed and gave it to him in a sippy cup with a straw which he drinks a little of but I don't think it's enough. We've been Baby Led Weaning until now but I'm a bit desperate. Any tips?? He doesn't eat a lot of solids still.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Eeek, I think it's a phase, but an ouchy one! I've heard a firm 'no biting' and putting them on the floor can be the way to go, basically teaching that biting = end of nice cuddles! I've also heard other mums say that if they're biting then they're probably not super hungry so maybe he is getting more than you think or could he be teething? Maybe he's a bit off his food and just wanting to chew?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I always found that my daughter would only bite at the end of a feed. I would do what jvn said - once she got really distracted from feeding, I'd stop the feed. Once I started doing that, I would never get bitten. At that age, she was only feeding for about 5-10 min max each feed anyway...

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    I agree. As soon as he / she bites - no more milk.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    One thing you can try when the baby bites is to pull the baby towards you and cover the nose. This gives the baby a smothered feeling which they dislike. It also makes them open their mouths (as you stop the breathing through the nose) and this allows you to get your nipple out without further damage.

It is helpful for the baby to associate the unpleasant feeling of being smothered with biting rather than mummy screaming as often babies think this funny.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

LeahH is offline Registered User
    I tried Sarah's approach of covering the nose (mostly to get him to open his mouth and stop the biting) and no more milk. It worked. He also used to turn his head in a tearing motion which was excruciating!

Lisainhk is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the advice! Just to report, I tried the method of putting him on the ground as soon as he bites and after a few times of that, he stopped!