Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Hypoallergenic formula

pumpkinhead is offline Registered User

Hypoallergenic formula

Could anyone tell me if hypoallergenic formula for managing colics such as Similac Alimentum or Enfanmil Nutramigen are available in Hong Kong. I understand Cow & Gate has hypoallergenic formula available in Hong Kong. Would I require a prescription? Where can I purchase it from? Am I allow to ship powdered formula from US to Hong Kong?

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    I always bought Nan H.A. formula from Park n Shop. It is generallly available but sometimes out of stock, so when they have it, you have to stock up a bit.
    Nan is a good brand - recommended by my paediatrician and used by lots of Westerners.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    I use Nan Ha too - it is made by Nestle. I think the Cow and gate formula you are referring to is Pepti Junior? Actually, I dont really remember if Pepti Junior is Cow and Gate, but I know it is hypoallergenic. Pepti Junior and Nan Ha are available without prescription. Nan Ha is available everywhere in Watsons/Mannings/Park n shop/Welcome (thoug sometimes out of stock) but I've only ever seen Pepti Junior at the Mannings in Prince's Building. they are both available without prescription. Because we have a history of allergies in our family, when my son was born, my pediatrician recommended Nan Ha. Though he was on nan ha, he had a bout of bad excema when he was around 6 months old and we changed to Pepti Junior for a few months before changing back. My pediatrician recommends Nan Ha over Pepti Junior because Pepti Junior doesn't have any lactase (or something like that) in it and if the baby is on Pepti Junior (and nothing else, i.e. no breast milk) long term, he/she may lose the ability to process lactase and therefore become lactose intolerant.

You are right. Pepti Junior is from Cow and Gate. I have located Nan Ha on line already. I am so relieved that I don't have to ship tons of Similac Alimentum to HK. Thanks for all the info. Is there an organic baby food brand in HK that is similar to Earth's Best in US (no additives and preservatives)?

wenyihsu is offline Registered User
    You can get Earth's Best in Hong Kong. Not the full line but you can get them at CitySuper, Park n' Shop International, etc ... But definitely more expensive. Bumps to Babes also carries other organic baby food brands. Sorry, I can't remember all the names as I only bought canned baby food for when we were travelling. Generally we made our own at home.

Flack is offline Registered User
    Some Earth's Best is available here. Other imported organic baby food is available at ThreeSixty, Bumps to Babes, Great Food Hall and a more limited range at Taste and some Park n Shops - and probably other places I can't think of off the top of my head!

Portia is offline Registered User
    By the way, Nan Ha is Nestle Good Start in Canada. Might be called Gerber Good Start in the US?

It is also called Nestle Good Start Gentle Plus in the US, although it is not a hypoallergenic (elemental) formula. The proteins have been broken down partially only. Nan Ha is Nestle's hypoallergenic (shortened to "Ha") formula marketed outside North America. Thanks for the info on Earth's Best.