Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Borrowing money

crystal88 is offline Registered User

Borrowing money

My helper of 1 year 7 months wants to borrow $5,000, her parents in Phils is applying for a U.S. visa and claims that a "show money" is needed. She will pay it back to me in 3 months salary deduction. Should i give in? are there cases that the helpers just "disappear"? We are going on a holiday by August, just thinking what if the helper goes home without my knowledge and won't come back anymore with my money. Thanks.

carang is offline Registered User

someone once told me: never loan money to ANYONE unless you can afford to consider it a gift.

if you can afford not to have it returned, then loan it. if not, then don't.

tet
    tet is offline Registered User

There is always that possiblity, I'm afraid. What about holding her passport/HKID while you are on holiday, just explain to her the reason fot it (not because you think she would run away), in case you decide to let her borrow the money.

carang is offline Registered User

it is illegal to "hold" her passport.

Hi Tet, yes, i've thought about it but it's illegal as what cara said. I'm wondering why she doesn't borrow from the bank financing company, most of the helpers do that, and i know she did it already as someone from public finance called my house, what worries me too is we are not in "good" terms lately as she becomes lazy and not thinking well.

That's a good quote Cara, i'll remember that, so true.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

I've never heard about "showing money" before to get a visa (touristic one), and if they apply to live in the country, it's surely much more than 5000 HK$ !
    Unless you can afford it (and lose it), propose her to give her the money when you are back from holidays, or you can just say no, as you need your money during your holidays.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I think you just answered your own question when you said that lately you were not on good terms. Sounds like you will not be starting a new contract after the 2 years is up?
    I wouldn't do it, personally. Like you said, there are other options for her. She is a grown adult and you are not a bank. Sounds too complicated.

hi frenchy, she will share with her sis the show money, it's 100,000 pesos. Even with other embassies, you are required to show your proof of income, etc. They will need to show the bank statement or bank account to proove that they have money.

Thanks everyone, i've made up my mind not to give her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast