Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Feeling fat and ugly after baby

Sazzy is offline Registered User

With my first pregnancy, I put on 17kgs. I lost 13kgs pretty much straight away. I lost the other 4 kgs once my daughter started walking and I was always running after her. I never got rid of my little baby belly. I guess that can only be done with many many sit-ups and toning rather than cardio. Im now on my second pregnancy and I have put on 14kgs so far. Will I ever see my belly again????????

carang is offline Registered User

i actually didn't put much weight on during pregnancy. i had such awful morning sickness with my first i was only 2 KG heavier the day i gave birth than the day i got pregnant.
    HOWEVER, i found breastfeeding to be TERRIBLE! not the feeding itself, that i loved... it was that i ALWAYS felt RAVENOUS! i could have eaten a set meal for 2 by myself! i put ALL the pregnancy weight on AFTER i delivered....

lisa88 is offline Registered User

I dropped back to my pre-pregnancy weight about 6 months after having my baby. However it took much much longer for my tummy to reduce in size - over one year. Even today (bub is 16 months old) I still have a tummy that is 'pouchy' and I sometimes wear skirts/trousers that are one size up from before. I can fit back into some of my pre-preg skirts and pants, though not all. I really did not make any effort to diet as I was breastfeeding exclusively til 10 mths, and went back to work at 2 months post partum. There was just too much going on (lack of sleep, coping with motherhood, breastfeeding, going back to work) to even think about starting any diet or exercise regimen. In the last couple of months I have tried to exercise a bit. It is certainly true that there is a lot of pressure in HK to bounce back to your skinny self, however I just ignore it. I am a UK size 12 so I am larger than most HK women anyway, and generally do not bother about others' opinions. Considering I have a happy healthy toddler and am the breadwinner in the family (and have good domestic help), I think I have been very fortunate and lucky so having a different body shape is really the least of my concerns. I am not saying that having a nice body and good body image is unimportant, you can certainly do all the right things (diet, exercise, do crunches, etc) and maybe even consider a tummy tuck if you really want to.

geomum is offline Registered User

Stop listening to people who tell you need to work out, its like they are saying you are fat. Thats just rude in my opinion. So next time tell them they need a nose job or a hair transplant. Profession demands the likes of Heidi Klum and Gwyneth Paltrow to be skinny as they earn their bread and butter by being a perfect 10. We can't compare them to us and feel like a loser. Honestly Chinese office going women starve themselves literally to be so thin because I've seen plenty of Chinese mums who still are carrying baby fat. When I used to work I saw my colleagues eating a tiny bun for breakfast and sometimes a small bowl of noodles for lunch. Thats so unhealthy and they look pale and unattractive to me. Well I can give some credit to genes as well ;)
    I never got back to my pre- pregnancy weight with my first, but managed to fit into most of my old clothes including jeans. With my second I am losing weight steadily, my baby is 4+ months now. The belly never goes unless you exercise or starve yourself day and night.
    I've learnt to love my body the way it is, one way was to buy clothes that fit my current size. Its all worth it when you see the smiles on your babies faces :)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I know how you feel. I've felt fat and frumpy since giving birth 18 months ago (though now I'm 9 wks prego and am feeling even fatter and frumpier than usual). I gained 18 kgs on a then slim body and it never recovered. My lowest afterwards was stil 4-6kgs over my original weight.
    Losing weight from breastfeeding seems to be a commonly accepted fallacy, unless the women is not taking in enough calories and BFing a lot. I lost the real weight after I stopped BFing. It's like your body is just holding onto that fat for survival, for your baby.
    My body shape has totally changed. I don't like it at all now. Also, I'm older now, so I think that has a lot to do with it. I've had a love-hate relationship with the gym, but ultimately haven't been able to get there very often as I don't have a helper and I'm just exhausted all the time. In my free time, I like to rest:)
    I had a c-section so my tummy is gross. Droopy and pouchy (and now just bloated, yuck). I saw a skinny HK lady in the changing room the other day and she had a great body but I could see she also had a c-section and there probably wasn't much she could do about it. But otherwise she looked great.

Those ladies at your office need to be slapped. They can't possibly have children to say something like that. If you can't tell them off, please try to turn your ears off when they talk. It's utter nonsense.

We are now moms and unless we have spectacular genes or the time and money to look like Angelina, we have our mom bodies. Accept it? Well, I'm not there yet, but I hope to be there one day. And also, like another poster said, after this next one, I'm done with having children so maybe I can be a bit more serious about tending to my body.
    But the most important thing right now is that you are taking care of yourself, especially if you're still breastfeeding. Our baby's health is what's #1 over our yucky tummies:)

jane01 is offline Registered User

I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight within a few weeks, mainly due to being so tired from breastfeeding that I didn't eat - not healthy and not recommended. I wasn't super-skinny to begin with, just within the healthy weight range so I had plenty of reserves to fall back on when I did lose weight so quickly.

I have never regained my pre-pregnancy figure. I have celulite on my butt (lots, yuck), very saggy boobs, slightly saggy skin on my tummy and any weight I do gain goes straight to my tummy. I won't even go into the veins on my legs.

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    Losing weight from breastfeeding seems to be a commonly accepted fallacy, unless the women is not taking in enough calories and BFing a lot.
    I actually was the skinniest I've ever been when breastfeeding. I BF until 11-mths, and only started piling on the pounds when I stopped. I didn't diet when BF and just ate as normal. Everyone is different.
    Last edited by rani; 07-13-2010 at 12:21 AM.

pixelelf is offline Registered User

with my first born, i lost the weight slightly under 2 years. for the first year, i was this chubby big belly short person :) and i was breastfeeding and gymming 2x a week. it was only when we moved to aberdeen, where there is a reservoir and uphills and many crazy steps to walk that i started to lose weight. when my son was 18mths, we chose a playgroup 2 bus stops away and we would walk there and back. that's when i started to seriously tone up and lose weight. the belly, never became flat though. at most, it felt like i had a layer of very thick skin hanging around haha. all this time, i ate like no tomorrow.

btw those girdle things, never worked for me. they made me so itchy and in summer, it's sooooo hot, i feel like im being baked!

Last edited by pixelelf; 07-12-2010 at 03:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast