Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flight advice: what would you do?

plumtree is offline Registered User

Red face Flight advice: what would you do?

Hi!

Looking for some advice from all those experienced mummies out there. It's my first time with two kids on a 13 hour flight (to France), and would appreciate some advice. The flight leaves at around 11pm next week and we have 4 seats in a row. I have two little ones, one a very active 2.5 yo boy and the other a baby of 9 months. I have a Sit N Stroll which I've used on short haul flights (and which is great!). I've checked and the airline does allow this to be used.

I'll need to bring it as I'll need it as a car seat where I'm going (while I remember, I must check that I can use it in France).
    Question: should I bring it for baby, but that means that baby will have to sleep sitting up? Or should I check it in and baby can then lie across the seats. But that way, he'll be disturbed whenever they put on the seatbelt signs etc..

What would you guys do in this situation? I'm not really looking forward to the flight, but needs must!
    Thanks in advance!

carang is offline Registered User
    i would take it for the baby... otherwise, someone is carrying the baby ALL THE TIME! that is not fun! i did it when my daughter was 18 months and it was a nightmare.

Good point, thanks! I am just so hoping baby will be able to fall asleep for at least a few hours while seated. Of course, how we deal with toddler is another matter! Both are very active boys...sigh.

ssheng is offline Registered User
    I believe you can reserve a bassinet on most of these long-haul flights. If you have the 4-person row, they would put you in the first row so you are facing the wall. The wall has a drop-down shelf and the bassinet (belonging to the airline) is secured to the shelf. But I think you need to call ahead to make sure you reserve it for yourself.

If you can do this, then you can bring the Sit-N-Stroll and also let the baby sleep lying down.

(I am assuming a 9-month old can fit in an airline bassinet...I haven't hit the 9-month mark yet with ours so am not sure...). :)

Thanks for the reply. Baby is probably over the bassinet weight limit and can sit up unaided, which makes it a bit unsafe. I'm guessing that he's a bit too long for the bassinet anyways...sigh. Wish they could just sleep on the floor (if hygiene wasn't an issue)...

carang is offline Registered User
    i HATED the bassinet seats as the arm rests wouldn't go up...meant that the older child couldn't stretch out at all! was AWFUL! actually the sleepin gon the floor is a great idea, except for safety... nothing to do with hygiene...i had my older one sleep on the floor for much of our last flight, luckily (1) there was no turbulence and (2) they didnt notice him down there until the end of the flight.

Lisainhk is offline Registered User
    Gosh I also am about to take my 10 month old on a 10 hour over night flight. So not looking forward to it! I'm just hoping the plane is quite empty and he can lie down on the seats. I think sleeping on the floor with a blanket underneath sounds like a good idea too. But probably not allowed. I'll probably have to hold him the entire time. Eek! Good luck. :)

LeahH is offline Registered User
    definitely don't go for bassinet row, seat arms not raising are a nightmare and your 9 month old is unlikely to fit comfortably

Check if the flight is full now and again a day before you leave.

If it's not full, you can relax as you can take the sit and stroll but also use a spare seat if need be. just get them to block a few spares off for you on check in.

If it is a full flight, then I would prob still take the sit and stroll if the baby is used to sleeping in it or a car seat. You are on a night flight so hopefully possible for a stretch of sleep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast