Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Giving birth from Discovery Bay - calling an ambulance

kimdavis is offline Registered User

Giving birth from Discovery Bay - calling an ambulance

Hello Ladies,

I live in Discovery Bay (new in HK) and am pregnant with my first child.
    I have tried to find out information on how the women who live in DB end up at the hospitals in town.
    Some say they took the ferry, others say they called an ambulance.

Regarding ambulances, is there any cost involved in calling one?
    In my country, they charge a hefty fee when you call them so I was wondering if that is also the case in Hong Kong.

I'm thinking of giving birth at Matilda or Canossa Hospital.
    If there are any ladies who can share their experiences making it to their hospitals from Discovery Bay, please do.

Thank you!

carang is offline Registered User
    when i lived in db, the ambulances would ONLY take you to the nearest hospital, which is princess margaret (?).

what you do is this:

get on the ferry and call the ambulance from there to take you to matilda.
    you should have ample time if you don't wait too long after the contractions start (and if i were delivering at matilda, i wouldn't mind a few extra hours at the hotel...oops! sorry, i mean hospital!)

the ambulance was cheap... can't recall exactly, but it wasn't expensive at all.

elle is offline Registered User
    or you can hire a car company or taxi to drive you directly to the hospital from the enterance to DB, or take a cab or car from the ferry when it reaches HK island to the hospital. know several people who have gone this route. close to the due date they got into contact with car companies and arranged to have a driver on stand by or guarantee that a driver will be available when they are needed. plenty of people in the US and UK drive 40+ minutes to the hospital after they go into labor without needing an ambulance. (all of this is of course assuming you are not having some sort of complication/ emergency in addition to being in labor, in which case an ambulance would be appropriate.)

LOJITT is offline Registered User
    There always seem to be taxis milling around the ferry terminals and I think in the circumstances, people are probably going to let you jump the queue! Disco Bay Ferry terminal to Matilda is approx 30 min drive in rush hour. You may just end up having to play it safe in terms of when to come over, but as other posters have said, a few extra hours at the Matilda is no great hardship.

Also, how pregnant are you? If you're new to HK you may not know but you need to get booked into the private hospitals early- ideally at 9 weeks.

Balvo is offline Registered User
    hello
    we live in DB too and I am pregnant with our second baby. for the first we called an ambulance (no charge that i recall which means it was probably not very much) and asked them to take us to the Matilda. they make you sign a form acknowledging that the Matilda is not the closest hospital and you have asked to go there so they can cover their backs.

Danival is offline Registered User
    Hello Balvo!
    I am moving to DB and am prenant, I read your message and found it very useful. Did you call an ambulance from your place and ask them to take you to Matilda (door to door)? Did you just call 999 or what number did you call?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Balvo View Post
    hello
    we live in DB too and I am pregnant with our second baby. for the first we called an ambulance (no charge that i recall which means it was probably not very much) and asked them to take us to the Matilda. they make you sign a form acknowledging that the Matilda is not the closest hospital and you have asked to go there so they can cover their backs.

hkmum3 is offline Registered User
    HI, I'm from DB and expecting my third which I am having at the Queen Mary. I intend to call an ambulance and am aware I have to sign a form to take me to the QM, many other mums in DB have told me this and I feel quite confident it will all go smoothly, especially as I usually have long labours so plenty of time to get there! Having said that I'm not going to hang around at home like I did in the UK, when those contractions start I'm calling the ambulance just to make sure I'm where I should be in good time. Its all a bit scary when you are not in your home country but I figure so many mums choose to have their babies in DB it can't be that bad! Good luck xx

sparkles72 is offline Registered User
    so girls what number do you call for an ambulance in DB?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast