Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Private doctor's reaction to giving birth at public hospital?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Just for some added information re extra private visits: I had my first public appt today and as far as ultrasounds go, they changed things, and no longer do ANY, unless you want the first trimester screening for downs, which includes an ultrasound. Other than that, you`ll have to go private to get any scans. Too bad since the 18-20 week one is soooo expensive.

Sazzy is offline Registered User

I am seeing Dr Patrick Chan and delivering at QM. Dr Chan is great and is happy that im delivering public. He asks me that blood tests are due and whether I want him to do them or Tsan Yuk. Most appointments are around HK$1,000 including a scan.

nbw
    nbw is offline Registered User

Hi Shenzhennifer,

That is strange--I had my first appointment (not registration) on July 2. One of the things I had to do was go up to the third floor to register for my 20 week ultrasound in September.

Did they tell you that there were no scans included? If it was your registration appointment, unless you asked, I doubt they would have mentioned it, but if it was the first appointment (where the are supposed to go over your blood test results) then maybe you can inquire more about it.

How annoying!

nbw - Wow!! No way! I specifically asked about scans, bc I was told on this board that they only did the 20 week scan now. But the nurse said it was new policy that they weren`t doing any, except the first trimester screening one which was optional. I had my blood tests and then they just sceduled my first tri scan for next week and a regular appt for the beginning of Sept. Hmmm, I`m going to call them. Thanks for that.

charade is offline Registered User

Hi Shenzheniifer... I also am registered in the public system (at Tseung Kwan O) and I had a 20-week scan on July 6. It seemed to me like this was routine, although I had been transferred from the maternal clinic to the hospital as I was deemed a more complicated case. No longer though... they've tranferred me back to the clinic, and henceforth they said scans would only be done if they felt there was a complication.

Wondering if nbw was deemed a complicated case too... and therefore got a scan? Though it really did seem that the scan at 20 weeks was routine. Unless they have changed the procedure and we just scraped through.

In terms of expense, I find the doctors in Central are way more expensive and there are cheaper (and good) options on the Kowloon side. Moreover, Annerley does scans with a midwife for just 350... so that could be an option if you don't feel you need to see a doc.

In terms of waiting time, I spend around the same time waiting at the private doc as I do at the public hospital.

nbw
    nbw is offline Registered User

haha...no one told me if I was deemed complicated (maybe difficult : )

I do have cysts, but no one seemed to be bothered by them, and I am going to maternal clinic in Ap Lei Chau for my next visit, so I don't think that my case is out of the ordinary. Maybe they made the change in procedure in that short of a time, but I would still push a bit and ask.

banane76 is offline Registered User

I saw Dr. Patrick Chan and he was wonderful. No judgement when we decided to deliver the public route and he even suggested I get some of the test through the public system since it would be free. I would definitely choose him again and we saw him up to 39 weeks! He also did my 6 week post baby checkup.

Mystery solved: At my appt yesterday at Princess Margarat, I asked about the ultrasounds. The doctor said they have a quota and when they reach it they don`t schedule anymore. She checked her schedule according to my dates and she said there was one spot left, so I got it. Strange eh. I bet it`s for friends and families of hospital workers, something like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12