Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bringing helper to the US - Minimum wage law

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    HC: the countries you are quoting do not have very good enforcable laws for domestic help (and i am from India so not being racist or anything). which is precisely the reason a lot of countries in west insist on the better pay/work conditions being follwed when you are in their jurisdiction.

what is so unbeleivable in that - you are in their land, you follow their laws !

your "private contract" is being entered in HK and not valid anywhere else. when you sponsor somebody's visa anywhere (even if vistor), some conditions are stipulated and you are supposed to follow them. why not just ask your home country's consulate instead of this forum.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Regarding giving your helper a ticket back to the Philippines, I would check with her first before getting her a ticket. I offerred my helper a ticket home and she said thanks but no thanks. She explained that going home means spending a lot of money to buy gifts and handing out cash to relatives so even if we gave her paid leave and a ticket home, she couldn't afford it.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    yes, a lot of helpers actually prefer NOT to go home (why we paid for our helper's husband to come stay at our house when we went away). it seems that EVERYONE at home (1) expects to be taken out to eat (2) believes that a helper that works in hk is an ATM machine (3) expects presents from that ATM machine, to boot!

can get very expensive for them...

steflee23 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    that is so true. my helper is the same... as i am buying her a trip back to Phils over Xmas in Dec 2010 (as I am going heading to the UK).... she is most delighted as she had never been back at Xmas since being in HK (> 12 years). She said she'll keep it a surprise so that everyone wouldn't be expecting gifts etc.

She however was very appreciative that we gave her extra time off and the trip home as a gift, so she's no all alone here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12