Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cost of baby - first few months.

carang is offline Registered User
    yes, but the best temp for a baby to sleep is 17-18C! the rule of thumb to follow is:

what you would wear plus ONE layer... not like many of hte local babies that you see dressed up in 15 layers of clothing!

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Yes .. That is what I don't understand. 17-18C seems so cold! Few days ago I was already shivering at home!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Oh, and I was thinking about the heater for warming the room when you are bathing the baby.
    Posted via Mobile Device

after/during a bath, it is nice for a small heater... but not generally during sleep. you'll find that a heater really dries out the air if left on for extended periods of time (ie. night-time) and the baby may find it uncomfortable.

newmother is offline Registered User
    I only wrote down what I bought before the baby came. I hope it helps:

Changing Table: 1690
    Cot: 700
    Pram: 1000 (used)
    Rocker, mattress, diapers, milkbags, soap, cot sheet: 2410
    Sheets, changing mat, blankets, thermometer, grooming set: 1420
    Baby carrier: 700
    Baby sound system: 900

matemate is offline Registered User
    [QUOTE=carang;1039197]yes, but the best temp for a baby to sleep is 17-18C!QUOTE]

To me the whole temperature discussion is a perfect example where reliance on some western books can lead to funny conclusions in Asia.

The facts are: There is no established scientific consesus that there exists an absolute optimal temperature level. Research studies have shows that if a baby is too cold, it will catch a cold. If a baby is too hot, then the risk of SIDS does increase a little bit compared to a control group.

The key however is that 'too hot' is a relative term and not absolute. As a result, for example both the American Academy of Pediatrics or the Australian National Scientific Advisory Group do explicitly mention that there is no optimal temperature level, but rather that parents should bed their kids comfortably and ensure that they do not get too hot (by checking their neck, etc.). Kids regulate their temperature to 85% through their face, so it's important to keep the face upwards and free of anything that could interfere.

This summer our child slept comfortably in 28 degree and is never too hot. Equally he is very comfortable now in 22 degrees. He is simply regulating his body temperature himself (similar like me and my wife who are doing the same).

i never, ever tried to reach the 17C myself. HOWEVER, i did notice that both of my children would wake throughout the night (they still do) if the room was more than 22C.

my problem is that i have kids come to class that, literally, cannot move because they have 7-10 layers on! i kid you not! i've counted them! this is not one or two children that i'm talking about but 10-12 children over the years.... it's utterly insane!

as for an "over-reliance on books".... i've never actually sat down and read through ANY of the books i bought when my kids were little. i occasionally had a glance at them and that was about it. i chose, instead, to rely on my instincts 98% of the time.
    Last edited by carang; 11-03-2010 at 11:41 PM.

matemate is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    my problem is that i have kids come to class that, literally, cannot move because they have 7-10 layers on! i kid you not! i've counted them! this is not one or two children that i'm talking about but 10-12 children over the years.... it's utterly insane!
    crazy indeed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast