Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cost of baby - first few months.

NewBabyLA is offline Registered User

Cost of baby - first few months.

Wondering if anyone has a spreadsheet or similar on how much it costs to have a baby in the first few months up to 6 mths then to a year?

Including cost of cot, pram etc..

carang is offline Registered User
    it is a totally subjective thing. we did second hand furniture/pram. breastfed exclusively (no bottles, formula etc) and had 90% of clothes given to us. so, for us, it wasn't expensive at all. we also used the gov't clinics for vaccinations etc.

others will only buy from places like bumps-to-babes or mothercare, formula feed and everything new and only use private doctors.

it can go from as little as $1000-2000 up to the tens of thousands... it all depends on you and your budget.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Lowest could be when you are exclusively breast feeding, using cloth diapers, get baby supplies as gifts or second hand and visit Govt clinic or have Health Insurance.
    There is not upper limit actually :)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I agree with the others. But I also think that the first few months are the cheapest (excluding all the furniture and major equipment you buy before the birth), particularly if you`re breastfeeding. If you shop in the markets and at cheaper stores, clothes are not that bad, but remember that they grow sooooo quickly so the newborn clothes are the most unused ones. Diapers are really the biggest expense (unless you`re using formula - that makes it add up quick with the bottles and accessories) and then you`ll use about a large pack a week.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    I'd agree with everyone else! The most expensive is diapers and formula if you are not breastfeeding exclusively. There is really no upper limit since baby stuff can get very expensive if you only want to buy name brands etc. 99% of the stuff i use is 2nd hand so I save a lot..it's a personal choice though...

NewBabyLA is offline Registered User

newborn baby clothes for winter

My baby will be due in January - what type of clothes do I need to buy for her? Everything I have so far seems very summery..

matemate is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by NewBabyLA View Post
    My baby will be due in January - what type of clothes do I need to buy for her? Everything I have so far seems very summery..
    let me see whether i can help.

furniture/equipment:
    - we bought a cot from Ikea (1500 HKD) plus a changing table/cabinet from the same place (1500 HKD): 3000 HKD
    - then a few small things to put into the cot (bed sheets, one blanket, some toys): 300 HKD
    - we also bought a moses basket: 800 HKD
    - sterilizer for 6 bottles, 3 small and 3 large feeding bottles plus some small stuff for feeding: 1000 HKD?
    - a electric breast pump: free as it was given to us
    - baby carrier peg perego: 1300 HKD (2nd hand)
    - washing basin for baby bathing: 300 HKD

the cot was actually not needed (at this erly stage) as we like the moses basket so much more as the baby can sleep next to us in our bedroom. i was glad that we did not buy bedding as it's really not needed (and even dangerous -> SIDS)

clothing (sorry i dont know the proper names for all these):
    - 2 undies (i.e. the inner ones)
    - 2 'jackets' (i.e. on top of the undies)
    - 2 trousers
    - 1 head cap
    - 2 pair of socks
    - two swaddling blankets

all of the above was probably 1-2k, though i have seen socks for 5 HKD or 150 HKD depending whether you buy in the street market or in bumps to babes. frankly i would really not buy more than the above, we got sooooo many clothes as gifts, partly second hand, partly new depending on the gift-giver. now we have like 10 undies plus tons of stuff when he is 6 months old... :)

medical/health:
    - vaccinations and doctor visits in the first 3 months are probably 2-3k all in
    - we bought very few other stuff like mustela cream, nail clipper, etc. 200 HKD in total or so, though my company gave us a mustela baby basket fulfilling our needs for our next 3 kids
    - shampoos, etc.: 200 HKD

daily stuff:
    - diapers: cost can be between 1-4 HKD/piece depending on quality/brand, etc.. you use about 10 per day, i would say on average
    - formula: ours is 75% breast fed and 25% formula, so the formula is not much really. 200 HKD per (big) can which lasts us like 3 weeks or so
    - tissues and other small stuff for changing: 300 HKD per month

i think that's about it so far.

net-net i strongly recommend not to buy too much beforehand and buy as you go. there is almost nothing you cannot buy at short notice if you need it and there is a reason why your husband should take the first days off -> i went shopping a lot for small-small things :)

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    If your baby is due in January, you will need warm stuffs for the baby. Although it does not snow, Winter in Hong Kong can be pretty cold and windy. In addition, you may consider buying a heater as the indoor temperature can get pretty low also... something like 16C.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast