Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Dr Doo vs Dr Lord?

noopy is offline Registered User

Dr Doo vs Dr Lord?

I'm choosing between these 2 doctors, and not sure who is best for a natural delivery (hopefully). My main concern is the Dr's expertise and presence on delivery day.
    Any comments are much appreciated!

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Hi Noopy

I don't have any experience with Drs Lord or Doo - though have delivered two children with Dr Ghosh, natural birth, some gas and air but no other pain relief, no intervention. I think he's fantastic.

I notice you mention about the doctor's 'presence' on delivery day and I remember you have complained in the past that your doctor only turned up for a short time and that you were expecting a longer time / more attention. I just want to say that I don't think that's the norm or even a realistic expectation. Any delivery - not just in HK - is supervised by a midwife and the OB is only called when the mother reaches about 8cm, to be on hand for the delivery. The labour is not the doctor's job. After all, some labours take 12 hrs, 24 hrs or longer... an OB is far too busy to be waiting around for that time. Nor is he/she needed, when a midwife is there to look after you. In some countries, it would be the midwives that do the delivery too.

Basically, I think you can only expect your OB to be there at the end of your labour, for transition, for pushing and delivery, and then for stitches etc afterwards.

Good luck in choosing your doctor and here's to a happy, healthy delivery.

noopy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkyblues View Post
    I just want to say that I don't think that's the norm or even a realistic expectation. Any delivery - not just in HK - is supervised by a midwife and the OB is only called when the mother reaches about 8cm, to be on hand for the delivery. The labour is not the doctor's job.
    Thanks, Honkyblues. No, i don't expect any dr to hold my hand thru delivery. but at 10 cm dilation, and after 3 hrs of ACTIVE PUSHING (at 10 cm), i'd expect a dr to actually be there to check in from time to time. however, my dr was absent. until i told the nurse i wanted a c section and had given up on pushing. in fact after the OB arrived and corrected a small issue, the baby arrived in < 3 minutes and 2 pushes... so being there would have saved me 3 hrs of pushing. Maybe i'm crazy and expecting too much.
    Last edited by noopy; 07-26-2010 at 02:52 PM.