Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How to keep your helper busy every day ?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    i think it depends on how active you are, what your expectations are for your helper and the age difference between children. personally, i could not even imagine handling another helper. we love our current helper, but i feel like i've just gotten used to her after 2 years. my 2.5 yr son will be starting school 3 times a week next month which will hopefully lessen the load for her. i am due to give birth this october. we are getting a confinement nanny for the first 28 days after i give birth then it's just us.

if you want it to work, it can work.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    Thanks for all these ideas ! I've registered her to some cooking lessons end of August at the YWCA for some international classes, and I'll ask her to show me what she has learned. I also plan to translate all my favorite recipies so she can cook them.
    She has brought a baking book and she will prepare some snacks for my son...
    I have to say it's a bit hard to "lose control" on my favourite activities ! I've always been very active inside my home and now I have to share my time so she is busy enough...

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Just wait until your new one is not a sleepy newborn anymore! There will be plenty to do......

Also, I'm not sure that I understand why the helper has to be busy all the time? Surely you hire a helper to take care of the things you cannot (either due to work, illness, new baby etc) - if everything is taken care of, then why waste time thinking up things for her to do? Does a fridge/bathroom/toy cabinet need a thorough clean everyday? Nope.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    sorry, just to clarify.... i don't think anyone was implying that cupboards and cabinets needed thorough cleaning every day, but maybe once every couple of weeks or once per month.... the idea is not to over load them, but just get something "extra" done every once in a while. we have 4 bathrooms. i only ask her to clean each bathroom 2x per week... however, i like them thoroughly cleaned when she does. what i mean is, move the laundry basket, clean behind it. move the shelf units and clean behind them (we have no cabinets in the bathroom, just some movable ikea shelves). maybe once per week, dust the bookshelves in the playroom. or move the kids beds and vacuum/wash behind them... that kind of thing... it's not like i'm asking her to do this everyday...

i, generally, ask that my helper take a break when the kids are sleeping... but she prefers using that time to clean as she's uninterrupted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12