Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Eligibility for voucher on school fees

temajie is offline Registered User

Eligibility for voucher on school fees

Hi everybody,
    I read that families could be redempted vouchers on their kids kindergarten annual fees. How does it work? Who is entitled to the vouchers?
    Thank you for your help.

carang is offline Registered User
    it is NOT valid for all kindergartens, only for those whose fees are below a set standard AND who offer a LOCAL curriculum.

if you go to the EDB website, it's called the Pre-Primary Education Voucher (or Subsidy) Scheme.

it will take a few clicks, but you should be able to find it, otherwise, just call the Ed. Bureau and they can send you the information.

in order to be eligible, you must have a HKID card.... so that pretty much means anyone legally living in hk is eligible. the office should also be able to provide you with a list of kindergartens that the voucher can be used at.

Thank you Cara. Does this mean that nearly every parent in HK is subsidized for their kids education? When you say "local curriculum", it implies that international kindergartens are not concerned? Why below a set standard??

you are correct, no international kindergarten is part of the scheme. the whole point of the scheme is to make sure that local parents have an option and to promote the local kindergartens. there is nothing wrong with international kindergartens.

i honestly have no idea what the figures are for the number of parents that enroll their kids in this scheme.

i am surprised because i have not seen any thread on this whereas there are quite a few people on this forum who are enrolling their kids in a local school.

many expats don't know about hte voucher. also, i would hazard a guess that most expats put their kids into international kindies... they don't even consider the local option to be an option.

here is the link for the pre-primary voucher:

http://www.edb.gov.hk/index.aspx?no***D=231&langno=1

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    If you want to have priority for the voucher scheme you need to apply by the end of May in the spring before you child enters school. You may still be able to apply now but it's done on a first-come, first-serve basis so if you miss the deadline you may not receive the subsidy for this year. We applied and were accepted (I am a foreigner, my husband is local and our son is attending a local kindergarten in September). For us, we think "Why not?" We aren't going to fork over the big bucks to send our son to an international kindergarten, especially when one of his first languages in Cantonese--so we picked a school we liked, were lucky enough to get accepted and we'll gladly accept the government's financial break for the next couple of years so we can save up for primary school. Not a bad deal.