Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

14 month old refuse hair cut—what to do?

carey is offline Registered User

14 month old refuse hair cut—what to do?

We would really like to get him a cut in this hot weather but he gets hysterical every time we take him into to the hairdresser. When he was little, we were able to hold him down for the length of the cut but he is stronger now and no one can keep him still for long enough for the hairdresser to do the work.

Someone suggested we buy a clipper and do it in his sleep. Have you tried this? We are thinking to have our son see my husband getting a hair cut then perhaps our little one would be more willing to do it too since he wants to imitate.

Any suggestion of appreciated.

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

i put the telly on with his fav dvd, prop him up on his chair and start snipping. he might not like the clipper as it goes against his scalp but use the scissors as you can figure out how much to snip off away from his scalp. my bubba is also on his 14th month and he is more aware than before on what i'm doing so he shakes his head while i'm at it so i leave him be for couple of mins and try again. :)

solidstars is offline Registered User

i usually do it in the bathtub with some toys to distract him, then i snip away and then just wash away the hair later (i clean up after of course)

but my son hates it when i try to hold him still, better to work around him playing!

lesliefu is offline Registered User

are you cutting or shaving? my sis puts her son in the feeding chair and shaves, she doesn't cut his hair though....if you don't mind paying there's a place in Caroline Centre that does kids hair cuts (around $300 and you get 15% off if you go on weekdays - quite pricey in my opinion...but could be a last resort!)

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Yep - we are in the same boat as you. Our son hates having his hair cut. We have to hold him while he has it done as well although sometimes he can be distracted with a TV programme on our laptop. My problem is that the hairdressers take way too long when cutting a toddlers hair! I figure for the average child you have about 15 mins of time to do it before they start getting really cranky but hairdressers in HK seem to fluff around and take closer to 40 mins to cut!

Maybe a lollipop or another treat if they sit still for it?

AmyH is offline Registered User

In the UK when my son goes to get his hair cut it takes between 10 and 15 minutes. I have never witnessed him getting his hair cut because from his very first cut it was always "boys stuff!" that he did with his dad, so my husband would get his cut at the same time, or before, so my son would see that it is not scary or does not hurt in any way. As a result he has never feared the hairdressers, until he came to hong kong! Now he really dislikes it because it takes nearly an hour and he gets so bored just sitting there watching the hair dresser debate with himself which hair to cut and where! My husband tells the hair dresser to just cut it as quickly as posible but they spend ages "styling it" and it costs about four times as much!

carey is offline Registered User

Thank you all for your reply. I think taking him to a hairdresser specialize for children would be our last resort.

I bought a clipper recently and have been leaving it in the living room so he would play and get familiar with it under our supervision. I think he recognizes what it is and is rejecting it. When we showed it to him the first time, he took it and put it on his hair and then gave it back to us with a snarl. It is the same thing in the next few times.

With time, we hope he would eventually accept it like he does with brushing his teeth.

rani is offline Administrator

When my son was younger I would take him to a little Chinese place near the Belcher's. They had a DVD player and we would bring our own DVDs. Total cost was $60. Now I take him to the Japanese chain QB house. They cut hair in 10 mins and it costs $50. They have the raised seat for little ones. Give it a go. If you have a portable DVD player or IPhone take it with you. Check if there's one near you

http://www.qbhouse.com/hongkong/index.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast