Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Travelling With the Baby

moon123 is offline Registered User

Travelling With the Baby

Hi all,I am planing to fly with my baby next week.I just prepared my passport and tickets everything.But i forgot one thing to inquiry about exit and reentry to HK.I didn't got passport for my baby and it will take 03 months something to issued a new passport for my baby.so i just include my baby to my passport which is easily can travel without any Problam.then i just realise before i leave from Hong Kong do i need to apply the visa or not.my current status in Hong Kong Permanant Resident and my Husband status is Dependant and we both working.i am not so sure the Immigration will allowed to exit and when i am returning to HK if they allowed my baby to reentry again.please any one knows and who has experience traveling after given birth with a baby please kindly advise me how does works this visas,entry/exit works.please advise me soon as possible.Many Thanks (My Apology In advance If any typing/language mistake)

carang is offline Registered User
    i would be VERY careful. a lot of countries do NOT allow babies to travel on the same passport at the mother...

was your baby born in hk? does your baby have "established" under right of abode on the birth certificate?

if yes, just take the birth certificate with you (original, NOT photocopy).

carang is offline Registered User
    if NOT, then your baby needs a dependent visa BEFORE you leave... i'd head to immigration first thing tomorrow to get it sorted out.

most countries also have an "express" option to get a baby's passport if the baby will be travelling. i know i got my daughter's canadian passport in 5 days, when it should have taken 3 weeks!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    It definitely depends on your nationality. I am a New Zealander and no way our baby could travel on my passport. Can only enter NZ with their own passport. Entry into other countries may vary as may exit from HK.

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    yup... not to mine either. and i dont think they will allow the baby to re-enter into hk at all.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I would be very surprised if HK let your baby exit without a passport. And I don`t even know of any countries nowadays that will let the baby travel on their mother`s passport.

We moved to HK from China(my son was born there), and we had a temporary visa arranged for him prior, which went under my husband( I am a dependent). That expired after a month and then we got a more permanent one for all of us. So, you actually do need a residency visa for your child, but it should not be difficult to get as he would just fall under you. but you still need to do the paperwork. With the visa, he can exit, enter, etc. But I`m quite sure he will need a passport in order to get a visa first.

All passport issues aside, depending on which country you`re from, your baby might not need an entry visa as he could just be stamped in as a tourist upon arrival. But then again, he would still need a passport...

I think you should just contact HK Immigration and ask them directly.