Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Direct hire is taking WAAYYY too long

sea princess is offline Registered User
    Nicolejoy
    I have been reading your posts and was really pleased to see they sped things up for you :)
    I am looking to hire someone direct from the Phillipines also. She has worked here previously, I have spoken with two previous employers that are have since re-located either back home or to another country. she gets great references and I am really happy to give it a go.
    I have skyped her and talked to her on the telephone!
    My questions are:
    1. How long would a direct hire take from the philippines
    2. Do you think it's ok not to use an agency (i have read posts here saying use an agency?)
    3. Would I pay for her airfares here to HK
    4. Any other bits of information would be super.
    I have had a helper for almost two years I haven't been happy with, so I am pretty keen to get this one right! I have my second child due in three months, so I was hoping they could start prior to this. Is that realistic?

rani is offline Administrator
    Sea Princess,

How long ago was yr helper in HK? I believe if she's worked here previously you should be able to do the paperwork yourself. However, would confirm with the Philippines Consulate.
    http://www.philcongen-hk.com/labor/main.htm

The paperwork takes around 6-8 weeks to process.

You will need to go to immigration and get the Domestic Helper pack. It includes all the immigration forms and the Green Employment contract (4 copies). There's also an OFW form from the Consulate that you need to download. Complete all the forms and courier them to your helper to sign. There should also be a list of supplementary documents you need from her. Photocopy of ID card/ Passport copy/ copy of Old HK Visa.

Once she's completed all the papers, you take the 4 copies of the green contract/ your ID card copy/ her Id card copy/passport copy /OFW form to the Consulate to get chopped. This takes a week. Once the papers are ready take them to immigration. For immigration you need a few more documents. Proof of income and address. It's pretty chaotic at immigration. Would recommend putting all the papers in an envelope and dropping it in the box or handing it to the mail room counter.

Your only obstacle maybe at the consulate. If she's been out of HK for too long they may ask you to use an agency. Agencies charge approx $3200 and this includes one-way airfare to HK. You'll know within a week if you have to go this route.

Yes, you do need to pay for her ticket to HK. If you do a direct-hire purchase her ticket on Cebu Pacific online and email it to her.

Good luck!

sharrie_t is offline Registered User
    Seaprincess, you should check with Philippines consulate as we went through processing the application ourselves only to be told at the consulate we MUST use an agency.

Hi Rani ans Sharrie_t
    Thanks for the detailed information, fantastic. She left in october 2008 from memory? It sounds like the agency option might be an easier option considering I'm pregnant and the idea of waiting all day long at immigration is not very appealing! So really I would be looking at least 2 months by the sounds of things?
    Any recommendations of reputable agencies?

rani is offline Administrator
    Yeah I wouldn't wait at immigration either just pop the papers into the drop in box. When I hired our second helper she had never worked in hk. We had
    to go thru a agency. She found an agency in Manila that had a hk office. She went in signed all the contracts n immigration papers. They hv the papers already there. The documents were then sent to hk for us to sign

City Jammer is offline Registered User
    I interviewed and hired a new helper myself but paid an agency to do the paperwork plus her airfare. They submitted the documents to HK Immigration on 2 Aug. I called the Immigration Dept with my file reference on 18 Aug and they approved the visa on the same day. So if you give them a ring, I'm sure they'll speed it up.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    It was my understanding that all direct hires fro the Philippines must now be processed through an agency. The Philippine consulate is notorious for making money from their expatriate workers...........

Hi Cityjammer and Happy V
    Thanks for the update. I will look into agencies. She mentioned she used one previously when she was here and they have an office in Manilla, so might go down the same path as you rani?
    Thanks for the valuable information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12