Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Repaint an apartment

temajie is offline Registered User

Repaint an apartment

Hi everyone,

I just moved to HK and found a place to live. We signed the lease agreement with the agent and managed to have a discount in the rent. But he said for this price it would not be possible to have the apartment repainted. At first look, it looked ok, not perfectly clean but acceptable, so I said yes. Today we had the keys of our apartment and I noticed that my daughter, who is very active and always runs everywhere, had her clothes all white and dusty: she had been running close to the walls and was covered with plaster remnants. I did not notice it was only plaster instead of proper paint on the walls! Now I need to ask my agent to add some paint or wallpaper on the walls.

I feel frustrated because for me it is inconceivable that a landlord rent an apartment without proper paint and even dangerous (my young kids could lick the walls and get intoxicated). I think the landlord should be charged for the cost of the painting but I feel trapped as he put it as a condition for a lower rent and I have already signed the lease agreement.

My questions are:
    - is there a spray or glaze or anything that I could easily use on the walls without having to have them repainted?
    - do you know how much it would cost me to paint or add wallpapers (just the dining room and 3 bedrooms in a 1200 sq ft apartment) and who would you recommend for this job? (I live in Kowloon)

Thank you very much for your help.

rani is offline Administrator
    Hi,

Did you manage to find someone to paint your flat? Came across this site

http://www.yp.com.hk/paintjob/

Do let us know how it goes.

temajie is offline Registered User
    Thank you for this link Rani! This is exactly what I was looking for! In the meantime, I found someone who did quite a nice job for a price slightly higher than the business you found. But I feel lucky enough because I also receive a quotation of another firm which was twice the price of the painter I hired. Prices go crazy when clients are white...