Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Excess breastmilk?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Excess breastmilk?

I have a one week old baby and she's currently in NICU. I've been pumping for her and taking it up - but she's currently only drinking something like 240mL a day and I'm now pumping about 700mL a day. I don't want to reduce my pumping because I know that if I want to breastfeed her long term, I need to maintain my supply - but I don't have the freezer space to store the excess. I don't like that I've been dumping hundreds of mL every day - but I know that HK doesn't have milk banks etc... anyone know of any way to use an extra few hundred mL of breastmilk a day??

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    No idea about the breastmilk but it does seem a shame to waste it! Just wanted to say congratulations and hope baby is well enough to go home with you soon.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Why don't you bring it home and freeze the excess for future use? I've read your blog - hope you and your baby are doing well!! and CONGRATS!!!
    Last edited by FutureHKmom; 08-11-2010 at 11:22 AM.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Congrats to you on the new baby and the plentiful milk supply! Do you have a friend or family that could store some frozen milk for you in their freezer? I had to throw it away too as our freezer was tiny. Broke my heart.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Congratulations!!! Read your blog, your daughter Maddy is very beautiful just like her sister Lana. I am sure she will overcome the little problems she is facing and be ready to go home soon. All the best!!!
    And yes about the milk, ask the parents waiting outside the NICU if they would like to give your breast milk to their baby. Sounds odd but if I were a mum who had short supply and someone offered I would not refuse. Its liquid gold :)

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Did you eventually asked to the maternity ward in the hospital if they would be interested ? Maybe some other babies could benefit your milk when their mums are not able to bf or pump ?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I don't think that the NICU likes to share breastmilk around but I could ask them... I haven't talked to other parents in there yet - it's kind of hard to start up a conversation in there, everyone's preoccupied with their own problems.

I don't have the freezer space to build up a store. The NICU doesn't take breastmilk storage bags as they leak - so I need freezer room for 8 bottles a day plus ice bricks to make sure it's frozen on arrival. If I don't take it to their standards, they reject it. But their standards take up 80% of my freezer leaving me little room for my own food stuff!! So anything that involves my own freezer is out. Could possible borrow from a friend, I guess...

I thought of putting it in the fridge and giving it to my 21 month old daughter instead of cows milk - but she's been weaned for about 6 months now and I'm not sure if that's "weird", even though it's probably still got health benefits for her too... I dunno!!

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    in this case, i would give it to the older kid. it wouldn't be "weird" unless she doesn't like the taste of it anymore.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast