Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Tsuen Wan Adventist Hospital pre-natal package

Newbie2 is offline Registered User

Tsuen Wan Adventist Hospital pre-natal package

As I live fairly near Tsuen Wan, I thought I might consider the whole pre-natal package at this hospital, not just delivery. Has anyone got experience of seeing an obstetrician here? I understand their pre-natal package includes all appointments, 3 ultrasounds, lab tests, vitamins and you just pay for the initial consultation on top. The delivery package also looks very reasonable but are they good? Does anyone know?

I must say that I got rather frustrated over the phone just trying to enquire about consultations when speaking to the 3 nurses or administrators I was put through to, I'm sure the doctor's English is much easier to understand but I have doubts about having a smooth experience without all sorts of communication mix-up's but would prefer not having to pay Central prices, I don't have insurance. Anyone live in Western New Territories who has consulted closer to home? Thank you.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I`ve been to TW Adventist a few times(not ante-natal), this past weekend a lot since hubbie was admitted for a few days. In my free time I looked at all the babies and checked out the rooms. He stayed in a private one, the same floor as post-natal and the room was just ok. Adequate. (Mine was much better on mainland China:)

I`ve seen Dr. Kun a couple of times, and he delivers at TW Adventist, but works at Humphey and Partners private practice at Leuk Yeung Sun Chuen, near the MTR. My friend delivered (c-section) with him and said he was kind of `famous` locally, and very good, especially for c-sections. I don`t know anything about other docs there though, sorry, and not sure if Dr. Kun works as part of the ante natal package at Adventist itself.

I think if you went in there, you would be able to communicate a bit better as they would pass you onto a good English speaker. I haven`t had had problems communicating there though(in person), and all the docs there I have seen (4) have near perfect (HK) English.
    There were about 25-30 babies there this past weekend - I was surprised to see so many at such a small hospital, but I guess they are fairly popular. I know what you mean about Central prices - they totally are the same, but at a small branch. I would be pretty apprehensive about spending all that money without insurance, but if it`s your first baby you might want a `nicer` experience.
    I`m pregnant now(#2) and apart from initially going to 2 private docs here in Tsuen Wan, I will mostly go to the public hospital (Princess Marg) where I will deliver.

Wink

Thanks for your reply, Shenzhennifer.

From reading a number of posts on here, it seems those mums who either don't have or don't have much insurance coverage, tend to go with a combination of public and private care. I appreciate TW Ad is not in a very expat area so many mums probably wouldn't consider it but as there are increasingly more expats living out this way, (Tsuen Wan, Tsing Yi, Ma Wan, Tung Chung,) I wonder if they considered TW Adventist but decided against it for some reason?? I just don't see much reference to it even after doing a Google search.

It seems most mums prefer to see a private ob. (mostly in Central - yikes!) and then register at Tsan Yuk or other MCHC and give birth in QMH or PWH, it kinda makes me think there might be something off-putting about TW Ad that I don't know about!! The advantages as I see them are promising - it's one of the less pricey private hospitals, but being private you still have the perks of being able to have more personal choice, you can get all the ante, post and delivery care in one place - no need to hop between public and private clinics and it's so conveniently located those who live out this way, oh and breastfeeding assistance afterwards too. So how come so many mums still don't elect to go there?

I'm quite put off by the overbooking and noise/crowds there that I read about in other posts. And being charged extra for meals - if it's reasonable, ok but if it's extortionate, it's like RyanAir or EasyJet charging you for absolutely everything! What I really don't like is the fact they charge if you want the father present at delivery!! Pretty harsh I think...it's one thing not to allow the husband to be present for medical reasons, another to CHARGE for it!

I also have no idea of their ob's fees. At this point, it's hard to make a good comparison, I think I need to visit various hospitals and see what they are like 'in the flesh' so to speak.

Thank you for recommending Dr Kun, do you mind me asking about the private obs you visited in TW and what your feedback would be on them? Yes, this would be my first time so many questions and things to investigate!! Really appreciate input from someone who's gone through it all before - thank you again!

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Newbie2

The cost of the private room in TW Ad will work out to be the same as the cost of a standard room in Matilda. There are doctors in Central who don't charge an arm and a leg. Even if you chose to go to Cannossa or Sanatorium, you'd find that as long as it's not a private ward, you won't be charged an arm and a leg.

We've had a nasty experience with TW Ad and when I found out I was pregnant even though it is the nearest private hospital, chose not to go with them.

Good Luck with your choice.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I used Dr Kun that I mentioned as the well-known good c-section dr. I liked him ok, but found him rather brisk in his work and manner, though perhaps allowed me a few more congenialities since I'm foreign. His charge is $350(at Humphrey and Partners) plus u/s was $280.

I saw a Dr. Chan at Healthway Clinic(the only obgyn who goes there and also delivers at TW Adventist but not exclusively) next to Discovery Park mall, and didn't like him at all - typical know-it-all arrogant private Dr who actually (hopefully inadvertently) insulted me a couple of times there). His charge was similar to Dr. Kun's, maybe a little cheaper.

I had dinner with my hubbie and baby at TW Adventist this past weekend (room service, hehe). I thought it was gross. They don't cook with meat either. And the prices are not so cheap for what you get.

Crazy about charging for your husband to be there. What will they think of next? I guess that's why I saw a few husbands waiting outside the operating room for their wives and babies to emerge, unless they have a policy that they cannot be present for c-sections. Mine couldn't but that was in China.
    But TW Adventist didn't look crowded. Although there were lots of babies, so that would means lots of mamas, you didn't see or hear them. It was pretty quiet on the wards.

Breastfeeding assistance...I think all hospitals pretty much 'offer' that, but what they do in practice might be different.

My main concern about private doctors and hospitals is the amount of money they try to get from ou from the get go. C-sections are also a lot more expensive than a natural delivery so it seems that private Drs might not try as hard to let the woman have a natural one, be quicker to jump to the knife. In my case, both private docs were discouraging about my wanting a VBAC (Dr. Chan pretty much insinuated that I was irresponsible bc of the risks), but both drs I saw at the MCHC and Princess Marg were more supportive. This past weekend, as soon as they found out my husband had full insurance, all of a sudden his matter became more serious and he required more treatment and longer hospitalization that would have happened in the public hospitals. It was ridiculous, made me pretty angry.

I would suggest that you check out the local MCHC (if you are in Tsuen Wan, you would go to Maurine Grantham, near Citistore, nearish the MTR. And a delivery hospital would be Princess Margaret. I have to say that I was quite pleased with the care I got both from the clinic and the hospital, and how the hospital seemed to run. It's bare bones for sure, but it it's also very systematic and thorough. When I had my 11 wk scan at PMH, my Dr needed a while to see if the baby would change positions to get a better look at it, and in the meantime I got to see a very long look at my little monkey baby.

It's good that you're checking out your options, but you just might want to include the possibility of using HK's public system as well.

Thank you both. I was going to check out public hospitals too - have heard very good things about QMH and PWH's standard of care. You're right, Shenzhennifer I would need to go to Princess Margaret and I have your recommendation to start off with, so that helps. Might try out Dr Kun too but Dr Chan sounds like someone to steer well clear of!! Sorry you didn't have a good experience with him.
    Quasimother, do you have any info. on the Central obs. you said were reasonably priced? It sounds like the best option would be to go both public and private, and deliver in a public hospital so I'll look in to that. I heard that private rooms at QMH cost nearly as much as private hospitals but I'm just put off by the thought of a ward of 50 mums - imagine visiting time! It'll work out, I'll figure out the way to go - but thanks for the input this far.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Hi

I'm with Dr. Patrick Chan. For regular appts., he charges me $850-$950 which includes an ultrasound. For an appt. with tests e.g. blood, vaginal e.g. Strep B he charges $1250. For the thorough ultrasound, he charged $1750. As I understand it, you can actually negotiate a package price with him which is cheaper.

Also, Dr. Chan is one of the few great OBGYN who will see mums who chose to go to the public hospital. His bedside manners is just awesome! We had a recent scare and he was nothing short of a good old gentleman.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Thanks Quasimother...