Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

planting and balconies

pixelelf is offline Registered User

planting and balconies

i'd realli love to do some pot planting in my balcony but i have some questions, if you can help k?

1. when typhoon comes, do you move all ur plants indoor? otherwise how do they stay safe and not fly around?
    2. are potted plants alleviated to some shelfs? otherwise how do the water from the pots drain out? what kind of shelving should i be looking at, that is typhoon proof? or is there anything like that?
    3. after a thunderstorm/ typhoon, will the plants be literally blown to pieces? say if there is a way to leave them in the balcony safely?

i know these questions may sound alittle redundant for some, but im clueless on how to take care of plants in hk's climate. any advice will be much appreciated. thank you!

carang is offline Registered User
    i think it all depends on how exposed your balcony is. where we are now, we dont' move anything and nothing blows away. previously, i moved all tall plants indoors when a typhoon was coming.

ps> alleviated means "gotten rid of", so i'm not too sure what you mean by "alleviated to some shelves." sorry!

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    thanks carang.

alleviated. by that i mean some sort of stand or shelf that allows the potted plants to sit on, so that excess water can drain out of the pot into the drain?

ah...sorry, we just used regular pots with holes on the bottom and a matching tray to catch the excess and dump it.

or you can look at some of the pot hangers or shelves made of metal...poles? don't know how to describe them.

my suggestion would be to make a trip to the flower market with the dimensions and layout of your balcony and see what's available.

solidstars is offline Registered User
    beware don't drip onto passerbys though! there's a fine for that now!